Register

Dispatching

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,885.00

Re: Dispatching

Post Number:#16  Unread postby grumpy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:00 am

You've got an excellent video right here on this site that will
show you how to dispatch, humanely and efficiently.
It's stickied at the top of the meat rabbits section.
Take the time to check it out...

learning-aid-for-usda-protocol-processing-video-t18360.html

Grumpy
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

The following user would like to thank grumpy for this post
AmberRae

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 920.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby AmberRae » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:10 am

Thank you Grumpy! This helped me a lot. We grow or hunt all our own meat at our home. I have NEVER been the one to do the dispatching or hunting. I actually have never been present when my husband has killed any of our home grown animals. I have no problem coming out and helping process them but it's that moment where they die I struggle with. Your video was the first time I have ever seen a rabbit killed. I have been too scared to watch a video like this but all the great coments made me watch it. It did not traumatize me at all. It was the opposite, it helped me see that it is really humane. I really really appreciate it. I think I might be able to participate next time we cull rabbits. I feel a duty to since I enjoy eating them so much.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 661.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby wildeden » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:30 am

I'll just mention, because I didn't see it listed anywhere else in this thread...

Another method of dispatch is via captive bolt gun. It requires no cartridge or pellets and is quiet. The rabbits appear to "go to sleep". http://www.bunnyrancher.com/store/p43/The_Arbalest_-_Penetrating_Bolt_Gun.html

There's also a smaller model called the Ballista http://www.bunnyrancher.com/store/p42/The_Ballista_-_Penetrating_Bolt_Gun_.htm
Bunny Rancher
Find Bunny Rancher on Facebook
"From birth to dispatch, you'll find every tool will make raising rabbits so much easier! Home of the Ballista and Arbalest Penetrating Bolt Gun."

Our rabbitry: Wild Eden Rabbitry
Raising quality Californian stock for show and meat production.
Wild Eden Rabbitry Facebook Page

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,658.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Preitler » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:52 pm

You're right, the captive bolt gun is the method I use now. It really is easy and no stress for the rabbits, and gives very consistant results. They exhale and are gone. No bruising. Some kicking happens, as with any other method I tried.
I put them between my knees, with a bowl of pellets (a rather rare treat) in front of their nose, and kill them while they are happily munching away, that works even for growouts that haven't been handled much.

I really like the design of the bigger model, espacially the trigger, that pretty much is what I had in mind. :yes: My homebuilt contraption uses a lot of lever ratio for a smooth trigger pull (there's actually a sear and trigger), which is necessary, it has about 12J, very stiff spring, need to step on the top handle and pull with both hands to cock it.
Hm, since I didn't have any reference mine has a 4mm/25mm bolt, guess I can inrease both diameter and lenght... :hmm:
I should make some pictures when (if) I disassamble it, might be of interest for other DIY people out there, but, well, it really isn't designed for reproduction, I used what I found raiding my junk pile... :roll:
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness, then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious commodity is so much misery"

Previous