Doe miscarried. Why? - Graphic picture

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shan_non

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old NZW doe that was at least 1 week pregnant. She looked clearly distressed this morning and didn't touch her breakfast (VERY not normal for her, she loves to dive right in.)
She even grunted at me a few times. I knew something was wrong. Came back to check on her an hour later and she was eating the evidence of a miscarriage. It was 87 here yesterday and today.
She is in the shade, with an indoor/outdoor hutch. Fresh cold water, frozen carrot. When I sprayed the afterbirth away with a hose, I could see the "beans" of what would have been babies.
Could the weather have prompted this miscarriage or what other reason would she miscarry? Is there anything I should do to make sure she is okay? Her bottom looks clean.
She is a very happy, healthy rabbit. Goes outside once a day in a run. She has had 1 previous healthy litter.

Ladys Miscarry.jpg

you got all that after one week of pregnancy?

it's hard to say why a rabbit miscarries. General thinking would be major stress, or something genetically wrong with the babies preventing growth, miscarriage was just clearing out the dead youngsters to protect the doe.

Bummer for sure, hope she does better next time. I would give her a week and if all goes well rebreed.

Latest posts

Back