mini meat & growth rate...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
My chocolate fox is a chunky little oops mutt! Was not intended for meat, but so far she and her litter mates have shown the best growth of any litters from current bloodlines I happen to have on record...also noticeably meatier bodies too. ;)

Only 2.5lb at 8 weeks, but her parents were 5lb and 6lb. Considering parent size, does that sound like a fair growth rate? :?

Attachments

• IMG_5762.jpg
    IMG_5762.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 2,075
Dood":27d3i86j said:
Yes!

Half adult size by 8 weeks is a terrific growth rate :D

How am I just now hearing about this tid-bit? Makes total sense to get a good idea on growth rate with varying size rabbits! Thanks!

I had a smaller Dutch have a littler that passed the NZW litter that was 3 weeks older, then they tapered of while the whites kept growing. Quick little chunkers, smaller full grown size. Exactly what I was hoping for!

FourRingCircus":112tleeu said:
Dood":112tleeu said:
Yes!

How am I just now hearing about this tid-bit? Makes total sense to get a good idea on growth rate with varying size rabbits! Thanks!

It only dawned on me recently, too. :oops: Figured if a 5lb fryer was coming from 10ish pound parents, then half parent weight the soonest must give a pretty good idea of where they ought to be.

Bonus: not only have they grown much faster by comparison, these guys have been mostly fed on fodder! :p But they got picky this week and quit eating their root beds in favor of pellets, though. :slap:

Nyctra":3c4cj71o said:
FourRingCircus":3c4cj71o said:
Dood":3c4cj71o said:
Yes!

It only dawned on me recently, too. :oops: Figured if a 5lb fryer was coming from 10ish pound parents, then half parent weight the soonest must give a pretty good idea of where they ought to be.

:slap: Such common sense! Never put two and two together...

So far, I'm pretty positive this litter is outdoing most of what I've had in the past couple years. :lol:
They did go on a fodder strike at about 8 weeks old, refusing to eat their mat, but even then, they still eat 1/2 to 1/4 the amount of pellets previous litters have at this age, and I'm pretty sure are bigger than most as well. :oops: I think I like this mini rex blood. Now if only I could get him to breed the bigger does.

The chocolate fox is the biggest baby! :D You go, pretty girl!
IMG_7106-2.png

All bucks available were lazy bums on breeding day. Factor in stubborn does, and it left this Angora x Mini Rex pair. Out of all the mix and matching, they were the only ones to get anything done. :| Figures. At least it was intentional this time. I wanted to get at least one more litter to feed my baby bunny addiction till fall, and since this litter has turned out so well and I lost my only angora buck anyway, welp. Why not. :? She palpated positive just a couple days ago, but I've been having a disappointing amount of absorbed litters recently, so time will tell if I actually get a litter.

Latest posts

Back