Feeding sweet potato to rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeller

Reaction score
(I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I am not sure whether to place this in here or in "Commercial Feeding and Supplements.")

Hello! I have a question about feeding sweet potato or yam to rabbits. My father bought a Timothy Hay bag that included dried sweet potatoes in it. Our rabbits enjoyed the sweet potatoes, and their bodies seemed to be fine with it. My father thought about buying a fresh sweet potato or yam and drying it in the sun to give it to our rabbits. However, when I looked it up, the majority of people were against feeding rabbits sweet potato because it can be harmful. I am uncertain whether feeding our rabbits sweet potato is the right thing to do. If sweet potato is harmful to rabbits, why would the company place dried sweet potatoes in the hay bag?

My question is: should we feed (dried) sweet potatoes to our rabbits? Thank you in advance for any answers!

We just planted our first sweet potatoes--had thought we were too far north for them. Hoping to feed some of the vines during the growing season and the tubers next winter. (We don't feed pellets, a little grain, and have fed white potatoes (cooked), carrots and parsnips in previous winters.)

alforddm":1yp6dcta said:
Sweet potato is fine for rabbits both the tuber and the vine.

Dried sweet potato tubers profitably replaced 100% of maize grain in rabbit diets, without adverse effects on performance and blood characteristics.

from http://feedipedia.org/node/745

Thank you for the response! Glad to know that sweet potato is fine for rabbits.

Rainey":1yp6dcta said:
We just planted our first sweet potatoes--had thought we were too far north for them. Hoping to feed some of the vines during the growing season and the tubers next winter. (We don't feed pellets, a little grain, and have fed white potatoes (cooked), carrots and parsnips in previous winters.)

Aw, that's nice! Sounds delicious. :)

i actually planted a sweet potato specifically to feed to my rabbits :p a veteran breeder suggested it to us after he did some research and found that the leaves at least are PACKED with protein and other nutrients. they LOVE it. usually the tubers are eaten by the humans though, but sometimes they get the trimmed ends as treats.

a warning though - at least in my area, sweet potato will take over EVERYTHING. and we couldn't seem to kill it. so just...be aware of that when you plant it, haha. i put mine in a 5 gallon bucket so when we move the new tenants won't be wondering why there's a weird vine taking over their yard

I give them some raw when they're cheap. Haven't had any problems except for orange fur around the mouth.

a7736100":3tvl3hpn said:
I give them some raw when they're cheap. Haven't had any problems except for orange fur around the mouth.

This is way off topic, but I feed my rabbits alot of giant ragweed. The bigger stuff will sometimes dye your skin reddish. It looks really funny to see the buns with that around their mouths. :lol:

I've been trying to start a sweet potato plant as a house plant and as rabbit/human food. I wasn't having a lot of luck, the chunks of potato kept rotting on me. Then I gave up, threw an end in my worm bin, and came back to a tiny albino plant growing there a month later. That plant is only 4" right now, so most certainly it won't be feeding anything anytime soon.

It's also not a particularly good plant for Canada, but I figure as a winter houseplant and outdoor plant it just might work. I am growing watermelons outside this year successfully after all.

shazza":15fxd5ef said:
i actually planted a sweet potato specifically to feed to my rabbits :p a veteran breeder suggested it to us after he did some research and found that the leaves at least are PACKED with protein and other nutrients. they LOVE it. usually the tubers are eaten by the humans though, but sometimes they get the trimmed ends as treats.

a warning though - at least in my area, sweet potato will take over EVERYTHING. and we couldn't seem to kill it. so just...be aware of that when you plant it, haha. i put mine in a 5 gallon bucket so when we move the new tenants won't be wondering why there's a weird vine taking over their yard

Thanks for the advice! Haha, that vine would be weird to see in the yard. :D

a7736100":15fxd5ef said:

Thank you for the response! That's good to hear.

Ferra":15fxd5ef said:
I've been trying to start a sweet potato plant as a house plant and as rabbit/human food. I wasn't having a lot of luck, the chunks of potato kept rotting on me. Then I gave up, threw an end in my worm bin, and came back to a tiny albino plant growing there a month later. That plant is only 4" right now, so most certainly it won't be feeding anything anytime soon.

It's also not a particularly good plant for Canada, but I figure as a winter houseplant and outdoor plant it just might work. I am growing watermelons outside this year successfully after all.

Aw, that sucks... But an albino plant? Sounds interesting!

Random Rabbit":3ft05ezl said:
we were told by a long-time breeder to feed pieces of sweet potato to rabbits that were having trouble putting on weight.
They LUV it !!! but we limit the amounts as it could get them too fat. :)

Sorry for the late response! But that's great to hear! Our rabbits also really love the dried sweet potato. Thanks for the information!

Back