Raspberry Leaves to the Rescue

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I forget how many times i have suggested, to other breeders having issues with kindling does, to feed some Raspberry leaves. It seems to be a tried and true help.
But guess who forgot her Own advice ? :(
Had a doe go a couple days past her due date. She normally is a day late so didn't think too much of it.
The following day she seemed very uncomfortable. Had a lovely fur lined nest... but no kits.
Finally (!!!) the light bulb went off in my mind...Raspberry leaves !
Fortunately the bushes are well leafed out so i picked several leaves for her.
She did pass two doa kits. Perhaps had i remembered sooner they might have survived.

While the leaves are available spring thru summer... i need to locate a way to stock some for the rest of the year.

Raspberry leaves dry well. Just cut some canes with leaves attached, bundle them in small bunches and hang them up in a well-ventilated area out of the sun. Or if your supply of plants is limited, just cut and dry some of the leaf sprays; you avoid the prickles that way.

Lavender buds, either fresh or dried, will also work to stimulate the doe to pass the contents of her uterus. Several members have reported using them successfully.

There are a number of plants that can be grown and used fresh or dried to help with kindling, with lactation, and with digestive problems. I think perhaps I'll start a thread for that. :)

You could try freeaing them, but they might go mushy when thawed and you wouldn't want to feed them frozen in winter.

I've always dried them. They can be stored in bunches hung up, or in old pillowcases -- cotton, so it breathes -- or even in bushel baskets with a light cloth cover. If you have paper sacks, you can punch a hole in the bottom and pull the bag over the bunch like a sleeve after drying to keep out dust.

One of my favourite ways of drying and storing plentiful leaves was to use the large mesh bags that oranges or onions come in. Don't pack the leaves in or they might go mouldy, though you can combine dried leaves from two or three bags later. Never throw out one of those mesh bags! Even the small ones are good for drying medicinal herbs where you may only need small quantities.

Back