Breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clhc07

Reaction score
Help I bred my doe 40 days ago and still not kits. She only had one kit her first litter and it was DOA. I bred her again 40 days ago and she is not showing any signs of kindling. No fur pulling no nesting etc. She is acting 100% normal eating, drinking, and hoping around and binking. I am looking for advice on whether or not to try and breed her one more time or not. If I try again how long should I wait to do so. All advice welcomed, thanks

By 40 days its pretty safe to say she's not pregnant. Try breeding her again. A lot of people give them three chances before deciding that they wont be good breeders.

I would breed her again...
and then I would breed her again in and hour...
And then I would breed her for 3 days in a row...
Then I would wait...

If she doesn't "take" after that, it might be time to send her to freezer camp and feed a doe that is pulling her weight.

Before culling her, you might try feeding her a different brand of rabbit pellets, if you're feeding pellets.

I'd had a really hard time getting litters for a year and I'm suspecting the alfalfa the pellets were made with had been sprayed with an herbicide to 'ripen' it evenly before harvest. That's now an allowable procedure since 2011. I haven't a clue how widespread the practice is yet, but the feed company couldn't tell me if their feed had been sprayed or not. Their reply to the email was something along the line of they rely on the farmers to follow the proper procedures.

Halfway through April, we switched to organic alfalfa pellets and now we have our first litter in over a year of breeding. Ten different does and four different bucks so it had to be something general to all of them. We'd blamed the hot summer weather for awhile, but changing to organic pellets and we got a litter now. We're hoping for two more litters next Tuesday, one on Wednesday and one on Thursday. I'm not certain it's the feed, but if the four expected litters show up next week, that will be a good indication that the lack of fertility and is feed related.

Latest posts

Back