Selling/passing on the special ones :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have sold rabbits before, no big deal... but they were the offspring of my breeders. The only breeders I don't have are ones that had to be culled for health reasons. I haven't ever passed on one that I have named, gotten to know, etc. I am not lovey dovey with my rabbits, mainly because I don't want to get too attached, but they grow on you over time. Now we're faced with an unexpected move and the rabbits won't be joining us :( . Some will be OK, but 3 in particular will be hard. One is my son's rabbit... one is a super sweet doe... third is Junior, rockstar buck. I'm kind of worried about him anyway, he's been pretty sluggish lately. Not sure if I could keep him as a pet or not since we will need to be a bit more mobile for visiting family. How do you decide what to do with those special rabbits that you just can't keep anymore for whatever reason? Craigslist is too iffy. Maybe a friend? I guess I could post on here, but I can't say they are top notch breeders so I don't want to disappoint anyone :oops: . They have done well for me, but I wasn't too picky on body type and all.

Maybe you could have a friend rabbitsit for you while you move and then you could get them back once you've settled in your new home?

I've had to make some miserably difficult decisions about a couple special rabbits. Like you... i did not feel i could sell them as stellar breeding or showing buns. Also in our area, the market of saturated with all sorts of cross-bred cutsie pet rabbits... so my commercial rabbits were Not in demand.
I opted for terminal culling. It hurt like heck to need to do that... but i could Not guarantee that i would find them decent homes.... and i will not deliberately put them in situations where they would be neglected or misused.
If would be so difficult with young children to need to do that. :(
Hope you are able to find an answer that works for You in your situation.

KimitsuKouseki":17ygiie5 said:
Maybe you could have a friend rabbitsit for you while you move and then you could get them back once you've settled in your new home?

We will likely be on the go quite a bit - taking advantage of the historic area, visiting family in OH, VA and NC, etc. so I don't think I want a daily maintenance animal for a while. The one dog won't be a problem I don't think (we can take her with us in some cases), chickens we can leave feed and water for... if we find somewhere we can have chickens.

FourRingCircus":382l27fw said:
KimitsuKouseki":382l27fw said:

We will likely be on the go quite a bit - taking advantage of the historic area, visiting family in OH, VA and NC, etc. so I don't think I want a daily maintenance animal for a while. The one dog won't be a problem I don't think (we can take her with us in some cases), chickens we can leave feed and water for... if we find somewhere we can have chickens.
I understand, you'll find a solution that you think is best.

Back