paper bedding in nestingbox???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueeyedrex

Reaction score
Hi my rabbit is very very close i was wondering about using paper bedding in the nest box it is warm, and will not tangle the babies. she has been siting in her box alot but not once has she peed or pooped in it!!! :D :D :D
UPDATE:it is 8:01 and she dug all the bedding out and took the few peice of straw and collected it to the nest box, i gave her way way more and it seams she is weaving it to line the box. im guessing since today is her due date this is it, she dug a hole at the bottom of the cardboard box to the litter pan under the wire

You could probably keep all these questions in one single post about her pregnancy instead of making new topics every time you have a concern. :) I promise we'll see them.

I've not used paper bedding but I have seen where others have. Or using shredded paper (unmarked, no ink) but if I'm lacking rabbit fur I try to use something similar from an animal like the down feathers I'm using now, or my dogs fur which I also have a stockpile of.

This post may interest you: post312661.html

2CrazyFools":1saj5pz7 said:
You could probably keep all these questions in one single post about her pregnancy instead of making new topics every time you have a concern. :) I promise we'll see them.

I've not used paper bedding but I have seen where others have. Or using shredded paper (unmarked, no ink) but if I'm lacking rabbit fur I try to use something similar from an animal like the down feathers I'm using now, or my dogs fur which I also have a stockpile of.

This post may interest you: post312661.html
thank you she is on her 31st day today im really surprised that she hasnt even pooped or peed in it, she also is sitting in it and licking her area, still no fur. does this mean she is close

She's probably close, by the sound of things. Relax, she's the one having kits, not you! :lol: Shredded paper is okay, hay or straw better.

Please do not make multiple posts or separate posts for each aspect of a topic. Your doe is pregnant and you have questions, but put them all in the first thread you post. We will see them, as 2CrazyFools pointed out. I can't spend my day going around deleting duplicates and leaving them only adds clutter.

MaggieJ":3jvxo0xf said:
She's probably close, by the sound of things. Relax, she's the one having kits, not you! :lol: Shredded paper is okay, hay or straw better.

Please do not make multiple posts or separate posts for each aspect of a topic. Your doe is pregnant and you have questions, but put them all in the first thread you post. We will see them, as 2CrazyFools pointed out. I can't spend my day going around deleting duplicates and leaving them only adds clutter.

I dont have paper shearing this link is exavtly what i have https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OY7C9VS/re ... UTF8&psc=1 <br /><br /> -- Wed May 31, 2017 3:53 pm -- <br /><br />
Blueeyedrex":3jvxo0xf said:
MaggieJ":3jvxo0xf said:

I dont have paper shearing this link is exactly what I have https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OY7C9VS/re ... UTF8&psc=1

I think its the paper pulp in clumps big enough not to swallow but small enough to conserve heat

Sorry, I don't know this product at all. If it is fluffy it may stick to the kits and be ingested by the mom when she cleans them up. Is it guaranteed non-toxic? Dust-free is good though.

I've used that in nestboxes before in a pinch. It works for a bottom layer, IF the doe is used to that bedding (otherwise she'll try to eat it), but not as the only bedding in the nest, it's not strong enough to keep a nesting shape well. Just use hay in the nestbox and fill it completely to the brim, the doe will tunnel into it. Or you can use it for the bottom inch or so, and fill the rest with hay.

AmberRae":1iqq9v6h said:
I would try to get some hay. This isn't really what you want for a nest.

the hay we have isnt dry yet and is long and stringy, i dont want the kits all tangled

Back