False pregnancy ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epic

Reaction score
Firstly, I'd like to say, I cannot palpate a doe for the life of me, but I tried, I didn't really feel anything kit like.

One of my does, is due to have her kits on the 26th, she made a nest out of straw yesterday, today, she's plucked wool out.

I take her out, palpate, didn't really feel anything kit like, like I said above.

So I figure okay, she's probably just having a false pregnancy. Toss her in with the buck, she mounts him, I pull her off, a few seconds later, he tries to mount her and she goes nuts, not allowing him to breed her.

So I put her back in her cage.

Is it safe to say she's just having a false pregnancy ? I've never actually had a doe have one of these, so I'm unsure of what to look for.

Thanks c:

Could be a false pregnancy or she could be an early nester. We've been hearing a lot more about early nesters lately for some reason -- does that build a nest early and then sit back and wait. I'd wait out her time and see, especially if this is her first breeding. What you don't want is a double pregnancy, with due dates a couple of weeks apart, since that increases the risk of loss to both litters.

I heard that a doe will scratch in a corner of her cage if she's had a false pregnancy. I saw it on a raising rabbits video. A few days ago I saw my mini Rex lop mix scratching like crazy in a corner (all wire floor). She has no nestbox yet, so I don't know if she would have nested early or not. She is due Easter weekend. Any thoughts? I am going to give her a box anyway on day 28.

Does may well go into scratching mode during a false pregnancy... but they sometimes scratch like that for unknown reasons too. Digging is natural to rabbits... even the bucks do some digging. Definitely assume she is bred and give her the nest box on Day 28.

Marsha scratched (dug) like crazy for 4 days before she kindled-- I figure she was instinctively burrowing- of course, solid floor, no soft ground, she didn't do much, other than shorten her nails a bit.

Well that's a relief...I will have to be patient now and see what comes of this. :)

Back