Ok to touch kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueeyedrex

Reaction score
Hi yesterday, monday the 29th, I purcased a mini rex with dazzleing blue eyes and brown "eyeliner" around them. She was from a rabbitry that started in april of this year and closed yesterday they where trying to get rid of the rabbits and I saw her and knew she was mine, she also came 29 days into the pregnancy. She is sired by a broken black otter tort that also carries vienna in him.Is it ok for me to pick up her kits when they're born. She is very nice but I dont know if she is used to my smell/// :bunnyhop:

Yes, you can pick them up. I like to check on mine twice a day to make sure they have round tommys and hydrated skin. If your want to be extra careful just rub her a bit before you touch the kits and your hands will have her scent on them.

Normally it's fine if you touch em and just run your hand on the doe's back first, but since she's so new and went through moving right before birth I'd try not to stress her too much the first few days. See how she reacts to you. If she's mad leave her be for a few days and then it should be ok.

It's okay to pick them to check them, count them, get pictures, etc, but I would try to limit the amount you handle them (like, don't just get them out for the sake of holding them) when they're really young, to avoid stressing them.

I handle them all the time due to shelving, however if I want to really hold them for the sake of holding them (like SableSteel said not to, lol, bad Crazy) I'll do it post feeding when they are in little bunny comas :in_love: then they don't care at all and I get to croon and pet them. Sleepy babies.

2CrazyFools":3essnj8b said:
I handle them all the time due to shelving, however if I want to really hold them for the sake of holding them (like SableSteel said not to, lol, bad Crazy) I'll do it post feeding when they are in little bunny comas :in_love: then they don't care at all and I get to croon and pet them. Sleepy babies.

Just watch out... they pee when you pet them when they are full.....lol.... :lol:
My step daughter was horrified when one peed on her... they were very cute and cuddly until then..... I try and leave a gap so all I have to do is spread my fingers a bit and they can go on the floor of the barn instead of in my hand....lol :lol: :lol:

SarniaTricia":nln8n29b said:
2CrazyFools":nln8n29b said:

Just watch out... they pee when you pet them when they are full.....lol.... :lol:
My step daughter was horrified when one peed on her... they were very cute and cuddly until then..... I try and leave a gap so all I have to do is spread my fingers a bit and they can go on the floor of the barn instead of in my hand....lol :lol: :lol:

Oh yes. They sure do, lol, yesterday Bravo pissed all down my fingers :lol: "Ah, well, at least he's having no trouble relieving himself..." Unfortunately for India I was right over her head. :| (I named this litter from the phonetic alphabet, though I can only tell Alpha, Bravo and India apart)

I've never had a problem handling kits. I check them everyday and make sure they are all alive. I've always worried that handling them to much causes them to use alot of energy "popping" around so try to limit handling to necessary stuff.

Latest posts

Back