Astrex double mane lionhead *with pictures*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimitsuKouseki

Reaction score
I'll post pictures tomorrow, was too dark to take any tonight, but I just realised that one of Onyx's babies is THAT!
What a crazy combo, but what's a astrex double mane lionhead gonna be like? x.x
I know my buns are random mutt lionheads I gathered, but I didnt expect astrex to pop up x.x
It just sounds super crazy to me, like it'll be a clump central.
What are your thoughts on it?

Here are the promised pictures.

First a small game. Can you spot the astrex baby?
rsto4w.jpg

124ihau.jpg

2eus8lx.jpg

2ue6ts6.jpg

Could you tell?

Looks so funky
9hsym8.jpg

6hubua.jpg

2rmpgs0.jpg

2dka9o7.jpg

I just sexed her too, Female. I was trying for a blue eye baby with that batch and I mean she doesnt have blue eyes but she's vienna marked and I wanted to let go of her mom. You guys think I should keep her? Keep in mind that I know nothing about the astrex gene XD

I wouldn't keep her. Longhair mixed with any form of the rex gene can cause health problems (with growth and eyes). And they mat if you just look at them. It'll lose its curl too probably. Heres a longhair rex for comparison, can't find any pictures of lionhead rex.

915-2.jpg

I'd second what SableSteel said, I am keeping an astrex coated bun personally (Alice) and hoping she'll produce more astrex, but she is short haired. I likely wouldn't have kept her if she had a longer coat as I wouldn't want the hassle of upkeep. I'd assume longhair and the astrex gene would be a matting nightmare... Alice is more just a fun meat mutt project :lol:

So if you do decide to keep her, I probably wouldn't keep her for a breeder but more for a, "How cool!" sort of pet to observe and see what happens with that coat. Especially since she doesn't have the blue eyes you're looking for in your keeper from that litter.

Really neat though! I could immediately see the coat difference in the pictures.

Yeah I was thinking she's gonna be a matting nightmare too, but I didn't know the astrex gene could cause health issues on a lionhead. Good to know. She'll be sold in a month and the farewell pics is what we'll see last of her then.

Onyx is black and a bad mom, Datenshi is black, lost most of his mane but is rly nice and has blue eyes. So I was hoping for a black double mane blue eyes females so I could cull both parents :/ Didnt work this time, guess I'll have to try again. Btw dumb question does a baby bun's eyes show blue right away after they open their eyes or do they change color over a little while?

So I've decided to keep her. Aparently Astrex isn't actually a rex gene, but rather is commonly associated with the rex breed. Also, although she doesn't show the blue eyes she is a carrier. There's also no garantee the babies will be astrex. I found there's a place in Alberta that breeded astrex lionheads as their main things. I havent found any way to contact them so maybe they dont exist anymore but if they did it as their main maybe it's not too bad? I'll give her a shot. I REALLY don't feel like giving Onyx more babies for her to kill or neglect to be honest. She needs to be culled.

Now I only need to figure out who my next couples will be. I wanna breed on the 1st and I still can't decide. At least with this decision it removes 2 contenders from the equation.

That's neat about a breeder who is breeding astrex coated lionheads! If it was that much of a hassle (matting city) I wouldn't assume they'd still be going for it, lol. How cool, I look forward to seeing what this kit looks like in a few months!

Astrex isn't a rex gene, but its a trait that needs the rex gene to express, so any rabbit that you can visibly see astrex on is also rex.

Latest posts

Back