I need some advice.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
2 days ago, when I went out to tend my bunnies, I found a cage door on a growout pen open. There were still 2 bunnies in it, but there were 7. Access to my yard is not easy, so I'm sure it was me that left it open the day before. I found and caught 3 of them within 20 mins in the backyard with no problems. They came right up to me. Yesterday, I saw one meandering around near the street when I got home from work. He didn't come to me, but he also didn't bolt when I walked up to him and caught him. So, that accounts for all but one. 20 mins ago, I saw the last one in the back yard. I went out to get him, but he won't let me closer than 5 - 10 feet. He's apparently gotten comfortable in the blackberry brambles that I have. It's an area about 15 X 35 feet overgrown with blackberries, and there's an old picnic table in there. It's been raining off and on for the last 4 or 5 days, and that will continue for a couple more days. So, he can get enough water by licking leaves, for now. But, after this weekend it's not going to be so wet. The only escape I know of out of the back yard is through the privacy fence next door. Apparently there's a hole in it somewhere in the brambles. However, they have 2 large dogs next door. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can catch him? I tried sitting near him and talking to him hoping he'd calm down and come to me. I always talk to my bunnies when I'm tending them. He'd start towards me, then stop 5 feet away and turn around. So, that's not working. He WAS bred for meat. And he was scheduled for harvest later this week. So, it's not like I've lost a pet or anything. But, I also realize any predator that catches him won't be as gentle with him as I would be. I don't want him to suffer. Advice?

Are there any special noises that your rabbits may assosciate with being fed something good - like the noise my whole herd makes when gnawing on dry bread, or shaking the pellet pail?

For catching, have you some yards of chicken wire/ fence? Put it in a U-shape, preferable around or behind him, and try herding him into it, with long sticks and helpers, if available, positioned where you do not want him to go. Once inside the U pull the fence closed. Move slowly, pretend to ignore him if he gets tense.

If you don't have open terrain, I would offer him cover in the form of a tilted cardboard box and try to herd him there. Long sticks (about 2meters) make that a lot easier.

Patience. Try not to freak him out, but to annoy him over time. Do not try to grab him if it's not a 100% sure thing. For me, it's about 15-20cm I need to get my hand to their scruff, and there's no margin for hesitation. They are so incredible quick.

That's just what comes to mind :)

Sounds like Brer Rabbit has found the proverbial briar patch. ;)

Best way would be to get hold of a live-trap and bait it with something he loves - a chunk of apple, banana or whatever he considers a treat. Even a bowl of water if it gets dry.

A landing net (fishing net) is also helpful. It extends your reach and if you don't wave it about he will probably not perceive it as a threat to his freedom until it's too late.

In the meantime, perhaps your neighbour will let you block the hole from their side, if it can be seen from there. At least that would buy you some time.

:good-luck:

I had the same problem today. Wasn't able to catch her. Lucky I had an ground level empty cage which she went in to explore. Closed the door after her.

Latest posts

Back