Little Pips - Injured, possibly very badly, possibly not.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! And no Maggie, that's Thor, he'd probably end up cuddling with the rabbits if I let him :roll:

This is the perpetrator..
How could something so adorable be so eager to chew adorable things? Perhaps she's trying to reduce the competition... :hmm:
Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 9.09.11 PM.png

Attachments

• DSC00549.jpg
    DSC00549.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 1,638
Some cute pictures to help soften the less than great news?

DSC00602.jpg
DSC00643.jpg

So I weighed them both today and Pips is still at 12.2oz He's been floating in the 12.something range for the last few days and I'm starting to think that 13oz reading I saw may have been off due to initial calibration. :( Pips was 13.4oz exactly two weeks ago before the incident.

Della Rose is currently 1lb 15oz.

Pips is still mildly gritting his teeth, and while he is decently active, he is still have trouble passing his bunny berries and this morning he ran over to the pee-pad and was pushing his tummy against the floor and stretching, but nothing came out and finally he gave up and hopped into my lap. He's still eating and drinking but his appetite isn't nearly what it should be. I'm giving him another week but... if he's seriously not getting better I'm not going to keep him alive with these issues when it's obvious he is in some pain. It's going to break my heart to do it, but this is a decision I absolutely have to make. I swear when he's lying on me and I'm petting him his organs feel out of place, like his intestines are pressing out where they shouldn't. <br /><br /> -- Thu May 18, 2017 12:48 pm -- <br /><br />
Winterwolf":3cp2sl1i said:
Wow, that's a very impressive looking hutch. :p Now I'm motivated to spruce up my own hutches! :lol:

(P.S. Absolutely gorgeous dogs!)

Thanks Winter! I think they are just beautiful but I'm totally biased :D

I'm thinking about painting my hidey-hole boxes now AND painting the cages. I spray painted one of my large empty wire outdoor cages (to help with the rusting of the hog clips mainly) and it looks soooo much better I just want to do it to all of them. Unfortunately it's planning on down pouring on us for the next three days so I cannot do anything like that even though I'm now chomping at the bit.

You have done everything you could to help Pips recover, Crazy. By all means give him a little more time to recover, but if it becomes clear he is always going to be in pain, I would respect your decision to euthanize him. Sometimes we have to put our own feelings aside and consider the needs of the animal. But do give him a bit more time . . . it doesn't sound like he is in agony. (((HUGS)))

2CrazyFools":9wr9xocr said:
Pips is still mildly gritting his teeth, and while he is decently active, he is still have trouble passing his bunny berries and this morning he ran over to the pee-pad and was pushing his tummy against the floor and stretching, but nothing came out and finally he gave up and hopped into my lap. He's still eating and drinking but his appetite isn't nearly what it should be. I'm giving him another week but... if he's seriously not getting better I'm not going to keep him alive with these issues when it's obvious he is in some pain. It's going to break my heart to do it, but this is a decision I absolutely have to make. I swear when he's lying on me and I'm petting him his organs feel out of place, like his intestines are pressing out where they shouldn't.
Is it possible at all that Pip has a hernia? I imagine that could account for the feeling of his organs being out of place, as well as the difficulty pooping (since a portion of his intestines might be twisted up and not letting materials through). Not much you could do about it though, I suppose... I'm still crossing my fingers, but Maggie's right. You really have done absolutely everything for the little guy. If you decide to euthanize him, it will be out of love and mercy. :encourage:

Pip and Della look super cute cuddled up together, even with the giant size difference (watch that waist, Della, it goes faster than you can imagine!). And the hutch looks grand, perfect for a little lord or lady bun. Or, you know, pampered quarantines. :oops:

that hutch looks nice once painted. I'm about to repaint an old rabbitry I refurbished myself. Mine will be a dark grey since it's in a nature setting surrounded by rocks and I don't want it to stand out. My dad had green paint, wouldve been fine in summer but horrible in winter. It's a bit wastefull to buy paint when we already had the green, but I feel dark grey will be so much better.

I hope Pips gets better, but if it has to be done, ETbunny will watch over him.

So it is with a heavy heart that I let everyone know that Pips has passed on. :cry:

He simply wasn't getting better and was ever so slowly losing weight. Yesterday he was at 11.2oz and I finally made the decision to cull him today. Last night he hopped onto my lap and I petted him for a long time, talking, and yeah, crying. He's just the sweetest little bun and it hurt to say goodbye knowing it was my fault for his pain and discomfort. He was an excellent listener, even standing up on his hind legs to sniff at my face.

This morning I went to check on him and he had passed already, laying on his side with his eyes closed. I know he wasn't waiting on me to say goodbye but ... man.

Thank you everyone for your support and help with him.

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 10.52.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 10.53.35 AM.png

:cry: :encourage:

I'm sure going to miss the little guy, but he's not in pain anymore, which is good. I'm so sorry you had to make that tough decision. We'll have this whole thread to remember him by, though, and all the cute photos and stories you shared of him.

Love,
Nymph

Awww . . . I am so sorry, Crazy. :cry: You and Pips gave it your best, but sometimes that just isn't enough. It's nice that the two of you had last evening together and perhaps better that Pips passed on his own rather than you having to do it. It proves that your decision to euthanize him was the right one, but I know it would have been very hard for you to do it.

Thank you all so much :group-hug2:

It's so funny isn't it? I mean, these are meat rabbits, I raise them for food and yet... can't help but get attached to those furry little faces. I guess it's different when you quickly dispatch one to eat, versus them wasting away in front of you and then finally being taken. Bleh. I'm better today, especially with Alice's litter just days away! I was watching them pop around inside her stomach, she had an annoyed look on her face so I'm assuming she's ready for them to come out, lol.

Again, thanks so much for the support. Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved that little guy at all.

Back