Worried about the ConMan

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
with everything that has been going on, Connor has thrown a nasty wrench into the works. While moving things into the temp apartment on Sunday, I found he had watery diarrhea, with hints of blood in it.. Got him stopped up with bread, as the local walmart had no pumpkin,, grrrrr. anyway,slowed THAT down, then he starts retching and coughing up some nasty stuff. Yesterday, he refused to eat- and for a Chessie to turn his nose up at food, usually, the dog is already dead a day! Watching him, it seems he cannot breathe--his eyes are sinking in, and his skull is getting very prominent bumps showing up.

Called a friend, Connor sees the vet tomorrow-- so much of how he is physically behaving reminds me of when my old Irish Setter was suffering from Congestive Heart Failure. However, Connor did take himself for a walk in the rain this morning- leash in mouth----even not feeling well he can be a clown....

That is a big worry, Terry. Glad you have a vet visit scheduled for him. It could be breathing problems from all the construction going on... release of moulds, dust etc. Possibly aggravated by anxiety because his routine has been disrupted. :clover: :clover: :clover:

Blood in the diarhea is not much of a prob unless it's been a regualr thing for a few days straight (I paniced when Dino ate rib bones and a bunch of other crud, the vet said not to go in as it was only 1 day of bloody poops and vomit). Dehydration isn't quite the threat to dogs that it is to rabbits, thankfully. Good luck, I hope your dog gets better soon!

Connor actually ate two cups of kibble today--but had water diarrhea-- vet appointment tomorrow-- will be taking in a sample of what he retches up, too. May be able to link this to his autoimmune issue, add in a raid on the compost-ables bin...one sick puppy. He does seem in better spirits at this point.

I think everyone here knows just how important our pets can be to us. They are a special part of our lives. Hoping everything works out, and Conner is feeling better soon. Good luck with the vet appt. :)

fuzzy9":29ubmqt9 said:
I think everyone here knows just how important our pets can be to us. They are a special part of our lives. Hoping everything works out, and Conner is feeling better soon. Good luck with the vet appt. :)

Connor is more than a pet-- he is my Service Dog. he helped me earn my degree, does a lot of the heavy carrying, is better than a cane at keeping me upright, and pulls my wheelchair. The thought of losing him is terrifying--without him I would be totally homebound as I no longer own a vehicle.

Thank you for sharing that Terry, I did not know that. I completely understand the importance, and your fear, even more now. Sending lots of positive thoughts for you and Connor, and I hope everything gets better very quickly.

Connor is feeling much better. Not as much retching going on, eating several small meals a day (I got to get the weight he lost back on him) breathing normally. Had him out in the sun today- a good dose of sunshine after a long nasty winter always works wonders....

I think I will take him with me to an appointment tomorrow- the back end is not leaking, sooooo...

I am relieved--I shudder to think how much more limited I would be in my ability to be on my own without him...

Connor has regained his weight-- still has thick throat sounds- that is his autoimmune thing acting up. But, he no longer looks starved half to death, he drinks his normal vast quantities of water, and very happy the buns are on the patio where he can look at them.
I have a state hearing on Wednesday, so he will be getting a real good bath tomorrow, followed by lots of conditioner so that he doesn't look so dried out. I will be spending Wednesday morning running him to 'get the buck out' before the hearing--It is going to be a long week next week... nice to have him back in working form...

Connor spent most of today on the patio with his bunnies-- he basked in the sunshine while the bunnies nibbled. I tell ya, sometimes even dogs and cats have to have 'pets' for themselves. The rabbits seem to know that as long as they are in their cages, ConMan is no threat to them. Having Con and the buns in the same area gives him something to do other than get into trouble inside this apartment!!! he takes the job of guarding the buns seriously--I sure hope we get a piece of dirt to call our own-- he is a good farm dog....

Back