Show this weekend, what's the best way to get weight in Holl

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
We have mostly shown meat breeds and Sr adult Hollands, but I weighed our Jrs last week and they were both 1 lb 12 oz on Thurs. I know the meat breeds can easily put on a few ounces per week, so I decided we would take them to the show this weekend and went ahead and registered them. Trying to get them to Jr min weight of 2 lbs, and these guys aren't gaining at all! Removed hay, and have free fed pellets adding new morning and evening. As well as tried Oxygen and BOSS + Oats alternated. What else can I do? I know the won't be able to gain quite as fast as a meat bun, but is an ounce a day normal for Hollands? 2 days left til show after tomorrow, still hoping to take them:).

They probably won't make weight, but the judge might not weigh them. They usually look for rabbits going overweight more in the small breeds than underweight. At that size, they're probably not going to compete very well anyway.

Ok, thats kind of what I thought. We will take them to add to our experience and get some feedback, as our intended Holland cant go for health reasons. Just trying to have more involvment during the show and they are for sale too, so maybe we can sell them there.

I sometimes bring rabbits that might be a bit small to get a judges feed back.... if they get DQ... I will ask the judge at the end to give me feedback or talk with other breeders to get feedback.... also, them being for sale will get them seen by the people most interested in buying>>> win!
:D

You are doing everything I would to put weight on ... except I still offer hay....

Back