Cali's ears turning white? What is this? Can I show them?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
Californians ears.jpgI have 3 Californian rabbits and all their ears are turning light! I was told it can happen when the sun is out more and days are longer, although they are not in direct sunlight. There ears have some fuzz but are getting really light patches. Anyone else ever seen this? Can they be shown and it treated like a blown coat, as in they probably wont win? Advice appreciated!

I have had cali's ears do this. It is temporary and I have been told it is due to temperature. I do not think they would be DQ in a show but it probably would be looked at as a negative.

It's caused by the heat. You see it in calis, now that you're heading into summer. Once it cools off in fall, their ears usually darken back up. It is a fault, but color is worth almost no points, so it usually doesn't affect placement.

However, all that white INSIDE your Californian's ear is a DQ. That's not caused by temperature, that's caused by genetics

Really? Interesting. We have shown our buck and never been dq'd, and I didnt notice a difference on the ears between him and her. This will be our first time trying to show her, as shes always been pregnant or nursing babies when we have shown in the past. We are pretty new to it, so I appreciate the insight. Ill have to compare both of them again. She placed 3rd in a 4-h meatpen with her trio about a year and a half ago, and was also not disqualified but maybe they looked different then. Always learning something! Thanks for helping put me at ease about the splotches tho:)

Latest posts

Back