New Bunny Grunting

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyAuntie

Reaction score
Hi, I have just started taking care of my niece's rabbit. When I go out to his hutch he runs back and forth and grunts. I read online that grunting was a sign of aggression but he stops once I open the door and pet or feed him. Could he just be frustrated? Like "Hurry, hurry feed me now!!!!!"?

Depends on the rabbit, some are more vocal than others.
Right, running back and forth is more a sign of exitement and expectation than aggression, fear or whatever. You should see my buck when the girls parade in front of his hutch... :D

Grunting, in combination with starting toward your hand and pawing it is a different thing, I wouldn't call it aggression, but making a point, like "Too, close! My space! Back off!". Can be quite scary, but imho is still a quite civilised way to get the point across.

Anyway, just stay calm, spend time with him, if he lets you pet him give him nose rubs, scratch the base of his ears, if not hold a treat and start while he's concentrating on that, it takes time but it's so much fun to get them around.

Sounds like he is courting you to me. I have a boy bunny that grunts at me and it can even get a tad bit aggressive. The body language is the same as when he mounts a doe that is being a resistant. He has even bit me before while doing it but never enough to break the skin. I have just learned how not to let it escalate and do not hold it against him because I truly believe it just him being romantic hahaha

He may be courting you or he may just be glad to see you coming with food or treats. It doesn't sound like aggression to me. Now if the is lunging at you or trying to rake you with his claws, that would be a different story.

He may be bored. Some rabbit toys and things to chew on (like the apple branch) might help. Those wire cat balls are good because they are easy for rabbits to fling around.

If you want to know more about how rabbits communicate, try this website. Some of the stuff sounds a bit weird, but I think you will find it helpful.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Thanks everyone, I'm flattered... I think!?! :) I think you're right MaggieJ... he's not aggressive at all and the people who were taking care of him before fed, watered, and kept him clean but didn't pay him any attention. I try to go out and visit him as often as I can. He's in a hutch that's 3 times bigger than his old one and can run/dig on dirt for the first time in his life. I think he's just a real happy bunny! (I hope!)

Latest posts

Back