Register

Maloccluded Pet

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Male
BunnyBucks: 1,120.00

Maloccluded Pet

Post Number:#1  Unread postby SoDak Thriver » Fri May 12, 2017 8:03 am

Question: Can a pet rabbit with malocclusion due to injury (my diagnosis) be maintained as long as it can eat? Can something be done about those teeth, like clipping?

Details: This community's expertise has made me into a local rabbit "expert." People come to me with their rabbit problems. You know I'm a meat rabbit guy, so my solution to a maloccluded rabbit is freezer camp, but this is different. It's a friend of my daughter; she's 10 years old. Her family has gone through a slew of losses this year including some pets, and a grandparent, but most of all a foster sister who has been with them for years and is now going home. For this little girl, the appearance of tusks from her bunny, a Cali given as a pet to replace a dutch that died suddenly, is the universe kind of piling on in 2017.

These people are farmers with livestock and they understand life and death, but this little girl could use some time to process things and move on a bit. The rabbit is able to eat, but obviously something needs to be done about those teeth. I will go over there Saturday afternoon to take a look. Please advise.
Homeschooling dad of 4 (aged 14, 10, 8, 3), accountant, and rabbit noob apprentice.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 7,227.00

Re: Maloccluded Pet

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Sagebrush » Fri May 12, 2017 8:32 am

Yes, the teeth can be trimmed down. I personally have not had to do such a thing so I will have to research how to trim the teeth. Though someone else on here might have more experience than myself in doing so. I hope they chime in to help as well.
Edit: How are the teeth Maloccluded?

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,611.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SableSteel » Fri May 12, 2017 8:52 am

They can be clipped. With large toenail trimmers. If the clipping tool is not sharp, it may crack the tooth. I prefer using a dremel (just like a woodworking dremel) to file them down, theres less risk of a problem there. Or a combination of the two. Once you dremel them to the right length, try to get behind the teeth and make an angle, so that the tips of the teeth come to a point again.
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies
CZECH FROSTIES ARE NOT CYLINDRICAL THEY ARE JUST COMPACTS WITH A FLAT TOPLINE & EUROPEAN POSE
thesodi.com - the chicken game

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
SoDak Thriver

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Male

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SoDak Thriver » Fri May 12, 2017 9:52 am

Sagebrush wrote:How are the teeth Maloccluded?

to_post.jpg
to_post.jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 121 times

This is the photo her dad sent me. It's not the best, but gives some ideas. I think it's by injury because the litter this rabbit came from has no other malocclusion issues, so I'll be looking at the cage environment to see if there's some chewing that needs to be redirected to a safer item.
Homeschooling dad of 4 (aged 14, 10, 8, 3), accountant, and rabbit noob apprentice.

BunnyBucks: 1,828.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby jeannie » Fri May 12, 2017 6:33 pm

I have a pet buck that roams the yard. He has this problem too.
He lets me pick him up and put him on his side and I clip both top and bottom teeth with wire cutters every other week or so.
Everybunny needs a Lionhead bunny! www.jjrabbitry.com

The following user would like to thank jeannie for this post
SoDak Thriver

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Sagebrush » Fri May 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Then I would do as Sable Steel stated above. It does look to be a bottom tooth that is overgrown.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,601.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Dood » Fri May 12, 2017 9:22 pm

I use dog nail trimmers, the scissor kind rather than guillotine. They must be sharp so they cut rather than crush the teeth

The upper teeth will likely be overgrown as well and need trimming, they are also a bigger concern as they will cut into the flesh of the lower jaw and possibly the tongue

The following user would like to thank Dood for this post
SoDak Thriver

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Male

Post Number:#8  Unread postby SoDak Thriver » Fri May 19, 2017 11:57 am

Update: There's a very happy 10 year old girl out there who thanks me, and by extension, you, for making this rabbit healthier and more comfortable. :D We trimmed the teeth last night.

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Sagebrush » Fri May 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Wonderful to hear! Thank you so much for doing that poor bunny a great service.