Processed rabbit, what is this on the liver?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2CrazyFools

Rainy Days Rabbitry
Reaction score
Apparently when it's common knowledge in the family that you have rabbits, people give you the rabbits they no longer want. Hey, free food! :D

I just processed a rabbit and it had this hard white ball on it's liver, the rest of the liver looked fine. VERY fatty rabbit on the inside, wow I haven't seen this much fat! I'm attaching pictures of the liver and ball, and of the fatty heart.

Thoughts? This rabbit was never near my other rabbits, I kept it isolated on the other side of the yard.
Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 12.39.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 12.38.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 12.43.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 12.39.20 PM.png

Sorry, no idea what it is. :?

It doesn't look like the typical nodules caused by coccidiosis. I did an image search for fatty cyst on rabbit liver but didn't find anything similar--but it wasn't a very thorough search due to lack of time.

In your shoes, I'd eat the meat (well cooked) but discard the organs just to be on the safe side.

That's an easy one Crazy. You have a rabbit pearl, only ever gifted to the most caring individuals by the near extinct Oyster Rabbit. :p

Seriously I have no idea. In almost 50 years of bunnies I've never seen anything like that. I'd try drying it and mount it in a ring if it holds up. ;)

I'd guess it was the way the rabbit's body was dealing with excess calcium. :?

MaggieJ":3puq3e1f said:
In your shoes, I'd eat the meat (well cooked) but discard the organs just to be on the safe side.

Yeah, none of my google image searched turned up anything helpful either. The dogs got some of the waste (liver and a lot of the fat discarded) and we're eating the rabbit tonight, sloppy joe bbq tacos.

Homer":3puq3e1f said:
That's an easy one Crazy. You have a rabbit pearl, only ever gifted to the most caring individuals by the near extinct Oyster Rabbit. :p

Bahahaha! Mystery solved! :lol:

I really should have tried to cut it open or something, I literally just took the pictures and then dumped it. :|

Well thanks for the responses anyways guys, glad I'm not the only one confused by it!

They need it in their feed, Homer, I commonly will feed them grit. Grit is mixture of small pebbles or crushed stones that rabbits eat in order to help them digest their food. They pass the food into the gizzard where it is ground up.

Duh. :lol:

-- Thu May 18, 2017 10:08 am --

What was on this liver wasn't hard like a stone, but more like a piece of cartilage. But that's most likely what Susie570's bun passed in the other thread, looks very similar to her "rare and valuable rabbit gemstone."

All you people going on about some “oyster bunnies”…. Have you any idea how loudly my poor little German brain kept yelling “Osterhase!” in the back of my head, reading that??? (Osterhase is German for the Easter Bunny, by the way). What with it being late spring… y’all really had me spinning for a minute! :lol:

And Crazy, what a weird find! :x :p

Well, I guess it could have possibly been an Easter Egg that never got delivered on time.
animated-easter-bunny-image-0007.gif
:twisted: Didn't mean to mess with you Nymph.

Sure wish Crazy had held on to it for a few days till we figured out just what it was though.

What the body does to cancer is try to wall it off with calcium. Just like a pearl in an oyster. I think this is what you are seeing here. IT could even have formed somewhere else in the body and is now moved to the liver. I had thyroid cancer and my nodule (that's what they call it so they don't have to say tumor now a days.) It looked exactly like this. I am lucky that thyroid cancer slow growing most of the time and is 99 percent curable as long as you catch it soon enough.

Back