I did it... I advertised to sell my meat muts...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been mulling over selling all my meat mutts and focusing my Rabbitry on Magpie Harlequins....
After rushing around this morning to get the herd taken care; I realized, I am not enjoying this... I have this hobby to enjoy and I'm not, because I have too many rabbits!
I do have to do a cull. (that will happen early next week - 15-20 grow-outs)
If I get rid of my 4 meat mutt breeding group and give my friend back her Chinchilla buck and broken chinchilla doe, I'll be down to a more manageable number. (for the moment... as I'm sure that there are 50 or more kits in the barn right now)

Today, I posted an add to sell my meat mutt breeding stock.
I have had a response of someone interested in them, but I'm not sure if they are just kicking the tires or not.
(It doesn't sound like they have ever had rabbits)

Wish me luck!

Good luck!

I saw this post and went, "Selling out of her meat rabbits? Maybe I can grab a few. Where is she located? Ah, 1063 miles away in Canada. Wait a second, I don't need any more meat mutts!"

Rabbitosis... it may be hitting.

2CrazyFools":1dnf5lgr said:
Good luck!

I saw this post and went, "Selling out of her meat rabbits? Maybe I can grab a few. Where is she located? Ah, 1063 miles away in Canada. Wait a second, I don't need any more meat mutts!"

lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
I KNOW THE FEELING!!
I do get over the boarder to Michigan to show.... nudge, nudge... hint, hint.... lol

See, if you were selling some of the magpie stock, I would have to have a serious think about the costs of air shipping... My mutts are moving towards "magpie harlequin marked NZ cross meat mutts" as my breeding goal. And the one ej-carrying buck I have for now is totally a little stupid-head...

Ferra":2u5md0sh said:
See, if you were selling some of the magpie stock, I would have to have a serious think about the costs of air shipping... My mutts are moving towards "magpie harlequin marked NZ cross meat mutts" as my breeding goal. And the one ej-carrying buck I have for now is totally a little stupid-head...

if I ever head out your way, I'll make sure to pack some Magpies! :D

I wish you luck selling em. First time buyers will seem unsure at first. I certainly was. I asked to visit before making my decision and the seller let me. I saw what she had for sale, went home and talked it over with my dad before I went back to actually buy. So give the guy a chance, you never know.

Tough decision, Tricia, but I don't think you'll regret it.

If your rabbits are a hobby and they stop being fun because you are working too hard, then it's definitely time to downsize. You'll be happier if you can concentrate on your real goals. You'll still have culls for your freezer, I'm sure. Even well-marked kits will not all be winners by the time they grow out.

2CrazyFools":1nj03e12 said:
Good luck!

What part of the south are you in? If you are looking to get some meat mutts, I can help you out. I'm in Alabama.

TheChad":3i4r8hfk said:
2CrazyFools":3i4r8hfk said:
Good luck!

What part of the south are you in? If you are looking to get some meat mutts, I can help you out. I'm in Alabama.

Thanks a lot Chad! But no, I'm not looking for more meat mutts, in fact I'm keeping an extra doe from the bottle-fed bunnies that I really shouldn't. I wanted to have two meat mutts (buck & doe) and four standard rex (buck & 3 does) which I can cross with my meat mutt or keep pure and eat the offspring. But the bottle-babies happened and now I have plans to keep 3 meat mutts. Bah. Rabbits, they just keep multiplying...

I just saw "Sell out" and got excited, :lol:

meet people OFF your property. We lost our insurance last year for three weeks. NOT allowed to have people on your property if you are selling animals.

ladysown":1cb3uit7 said:
meet people OFF your property. We lost our insurance last year for three weeks. NOT allowed to have people on your property if you are selling animals.

Thank you for the Heads UP!!!
I rent my rabbit space, and I do not feel comfortable meeting people at a barn that I don't own... I always meet off site for sales, ESPECIALLY strangers.

News:
I found someone in ONTARIO looking for a proven breeding group! She has a couple of does and a buck, but she can seem to get bunnies! Well all my girls (and the guys) are great producers!

We are meeting half way on Tuesday! I'm also going to breed two does to my Harley Bucks for her to get as much genetic diversity as she can.
:D <br /><br /> __________ Thu May 18, 2017 3:01 pm __________ <br /><br />
2CrazyFools":1cb3uit7 said:
TheChad":1cb3uit7 said:
2CrazyFools":1cb3uit7 said:
Good luck!

Thanks a lot Chad! But no, I'm not looking for more meat mutts, in fact I'm keeping an extra doe from the bottle-fed bunnies that I really shouldn't. I wanted to have two meat mutts (buck & doe) and four standard rex (buck & 3 does) which I can cross with my meat mutt or keep pure and eat the offspring. But the bottle-babies happened and now I have plans to keep 3 meat mutts. Bah. Rabbits, they just keep multiplying...

I just saw "Sell out" and got excited, :lol:

You just got sucked in by this beautiful face:
TriHarder.png

Latest posts

Back