Satin Angora listing on CL, do they look good to you?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful buns! I know nothing about Angoras so I'm of no help to you, but they do look a little unkept to me. Again, I know nothing about angoras and perhaps this is a common look for them? I feel they should be fluffier without the clumps, it may be an indication of them not allowing grooming due to not being comfortable with humans?

Not sure, my 2c in this venue doesn't weight very much, lol. They sure are perdy though.

2CrazyFools":1c1y78we said:
Beautiful buns! I know nothing about Angoras so I'm of no help to you, but they do look a little unkept to me. Again, I know nothing about angoras and perhaps this is a common look for them? I feel they should be fluffier without the clumps, it may be an indication of them not allowing grooming due to not being comfortable with humans?

Not sure, my 2c in this venue doesn't weight very much, lol. They sure are perdy though.

Your 2 cents are tallying with my own. ;)

GBov":1vggsu2f said:
2CrazyFools":1vggsu2f said:

Your 2 cents are tallying with my own. ;)
I'll add mine as well then. :oops:

I have a friend that breeds satin angoras, and she frequently posts pictures on Facebook (of the adults as well as the babies). None of her rabbits look this... unkept. And one of the pictures does seem to show some matting, although I'm not sure if that might be caused by not being brushed regularly or because they come from poor quality stock.

I don't have or plan to have satin angoras, but I thought I'd at least share what I've seen.

They looked like they haven't been groomed much. Baby coats are different than adult coats and if like French will mat more. If you can see matting on top underneath will be worse. They maybe good rabbits but they look like they haven't had the grooming they need. I have seen pictures of very matted angoras on Craigslist near me and really wanted to rescue them so they could get the grooming they needed. But I don't have the cages or the time but it makes me sad to see them in that condition.

I breed lionheads and while they're not satin angoras I can comment on similar fur issues. It's unfair to judge them on matting. Wet wooly fur looks clumped so maybe they were just slightly wet.

My best male was rly badly clumped when I got him, but he hasn't had a single mat since I got him and I brush him once every 2 weeks only. His previous owner had him in a flat floor cage and so a lot of things had gotten tangled in his fur, but I have wire floor and he stays super clean now and this is with a bunny whom you can barelly see the eyes of because of how fluffy he is.

So basically matting in angora breeds comes down to living condition and maintenance. If you have a freshly brushed lionhead and put it in a wood shavings cage for 30 seconds, it's already badly matted.

So I'd personally go see them before taking my decision. Check for defects and so on and maybe bring a brush and try combing them see how they react. This way you can test their personality and maybe see their environement. If The living conditions are prone to stuff getting in their furs there or if the owner admits he isnt grooming em, you know it's not the bunnie's fault.

I have yet to buy one that did not need to be at least partially clipped down. THey do mat a bit more than the other breed but the shiny fur is worth it. IF they have pedigrees at this price I would go for it in a heartbeat . Ya gotta start somewhere. But have a plan for the fiber you will get. They will produce three to four inches every three or four months.

I don't have Satins, but English angoras so I'm only going by what it would be with an English. Baby coats on angoras are not always indicative of their adult coats. Nor do they always have coats to match their parents coats, so I'll usually wait until they get their adult coat to make a final evaluation on their coat.

Check the sheen of the coat on their nose and face, that will be closer to their final coat. As far as I know, the sheen on a Satin requires a double recessive so bred to a non-Satin you'll lose the sheen on the first generation.

As for matting coats, some mat more than others so check the different coats and see if there's any difference between them. Also check the texture of the fiber, there will be differences in texture between them. Soft, silky, shiny are all good.

Are you going to spin the wool into yarn?

Right now I am felting lots of animals for my Etsy shop (MovingOnWithThings ;) ) but would like to get into spinning as well. Mainly though my kids would like a breed that stays around awhile while still being able to make them some money.

Mostly in the past we have had Rex and meat mutts so the turn over was quite high, all the Rex kits would sell out and the meat mutties came to dinner.

Having only had one experience with Angora of any quality - poor, in my case - I want to get not only good ones but also easy to handle so the kids can do all the work and marketing of the fiber. With me checking behind as usual to make sure its done properly. And of course when they tire of the bunnies and the work, I will take over. :lol:

Have just gotten the word we will close on our house on time and will start moving next week. So will get that behind us and then start building cages. Then we get to have rabbits again :cheer1:

Are Satin Angora a good breed? Have read they produce the least amount of fiber but the most expensive to purchase. Was wanting to get German Angoras but am now not sure. Oh decisions, decisions!

Latest posts

Back