Register

loose bunnies

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 220.00

loose bunnies

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Lowstorm » Tue May 09, 2017 12:01 am

Just grr! The other day my boyfriend and I were driving around outside of town and I see something white with grey dots run across the road. Thought it was a cat.... Nope. Beautiful broken rex! Almost caught it too. Other side of the ditch, a black rex. After they ran into the woods we drove a bit more. Someone made an outdoor pen out of really crappy chain link sized chicken wire only 2 ft tall. It wasn't secured at all. And right next to an intersection.

Definitely debating on driving past there again. With a big net... I'm naughty but ugh.

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 1,215.00

Re: loose bunnies

Post Number:#2  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Tue May 09, 2017 7:13 am

I certainly would, those people lost their rabbits at this point. No reason why you should let them die if you can catch em.

The following user would like to thank KimitsuKouseki for this post
Zass

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,227.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Sagebrush » Tue May 09, 2017 8:33 am

:yeahthat: What Kimitsu said!

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Male
BunnyBucks: 1,120.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SoDak Thriver » Tue May 09, 2017 9:30 am

If they're not controlling their animals, then there are authorities that should be called. I'm not sure what part of Northern MN you're in, but if it's one of the cities, there are people to call. If you're in the rural parts (my wife is from Cass county), then you're best off to notify the sheriff or the DNR (I think DNR would be very unhappy at the prospect of feral rabbits) and wash your hands of it.

Where I live, you can get in a lot of trouble by taking someone else's livestock, including rabbits. I live in the country, but I have one loose doe who keeps the area under my cages cleaned up of dropped feed pellets, which helps keep other rodents down. She loves to be in the ditch. If someone stopped and took her, I'd call law enforcement.
Homeschooling dad of 4 (aged 14, 10, 8, 3), accountant, and rabbit noob apprentice.

Canada Female

Post Number:#5  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Tue May 09, 2017 10:58 am

SoDak Thriver wrote:If they're not controlling their animals, then there are authorities that should be called. I'm not sure what part of Northern MN you're in, but if it's one of the cities, there are people to call. If you're in the rural parts (my wife is from Cass county), then you're best off to notify the sheriff or the DNR (I think DNR would be very unhappy at the prospect of feral rabbits) and wash your hands of it.

Where I live, you can get in a lot of trouble by taking someone else's livestock, including rabbits. I live in the country, but I have one loose doe who keeps the area under my cages cleaned up of dropped feed pellets, which helps keep other rodents down. She loves to be in the ditch. If someone stopped and took her, I'd call law enforcement.

This is different, you're talking about someone stopping and getting on your property to steal your livestock. She talking of rabbits that have run far from home. Their own owners will have to hunt em down if they want em back.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,003.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Zass » Tue May 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Rabbits running loose off of a propery are fair game, for foxes, hawks, coyotes, or anyone who wants them. Rabbits quickly become feral pets, and governments all too quickly compensate by unleashing nasty diseases that affect wild and domestic rabbits alike. The way I see it, picking up loose rabbits is helping protect buns in general.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Male
BunnyBucks: 1,120.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby SoDak Thriver » Wed May 10, 2017 6:54 am

I see what you guys are saying, but if they're marked, and someone sees you picking them up, you could be in a mess. They were close enough to home that you could see where they came from. Even if you do capture them, which would be a service, I would notify the sheriff like you would for a stray dog. If the sheriff tells you to keep them, fine. Or they might take the rabbits and put them down.

I'm all for working outside the confines of government and in the gray areas of law, but do be careful, especially in Minnesota which can be a real law-and-order place when you cross the wrong people.
Homeschooling dad of 4 (aged 14, 10, 8, 3), accountant, and rabbit noob apprentice.

Canada Female

Post Number:#8  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Wed May 10, 2017 9:38 am

I see what you mean, but the pen she saw might not even be where they were from. But true I know I'd catch em, go to that house see if it's theirs and if not I'd keep em, my concience would be clear. And if it's theirs I'd give em a serious talking to until they cried.
Anyways no point arguing over this at this point.
Lowstorm!!! give us news! Did you see em again?

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Lowstorm » Sat May 13, 2017 10:48 am

Sorry, I was busy all week. I'm just Grr'ing. I'm fairly sure they went home. And it was about 5 miles north of Bemidji, so they're either other animal food by now, home, or roadkill. People give no craps about rabbits it seems. And yes, they were still fairly close to the property, but not on it. Within 100 yards of the fenced 'pen' the people were using. I'd have to drive by there again to see if they're out and about. Noone was at the house when we drove past (No garage, no cars, and on a work-day time frame)

Maybe I'll drive past there this coming week. And just *ahem* borrow the pretty one for a few days if its a buck. muhahahaha. When my bunnies got out they came right back home. Food is so much harder to find when you're out on your own. Or maybe mine are just lazy sob's.

Canada Female

Post Number:#10  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Sat May 13, 2017 11:07 am

Aww well let's hope for their well being.
Lowstorm wrote:Food is so much harder to find when you're out on your own. Or maybe mine are just lazy sob's.

Roflmao XD Isnt grass and stuff everywhere though? I think it's more that they feel happy and safe at home or just cause bucks like staying with their does.

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Lowstorm » Sat May 13, 2017 2:04 pm

We just got grass up here last week, really. It was dry for a month this spring after the snows left. Was still grassless when I saw these two.