Maloccluded Pet

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question: Can a pet rabbit with malocclusion due to injury (my diagnosis) be maintained as long as it can eat? Can something be done about those teeth, like clipping?

Details: This community's expertise has made me into a local rabbit "expert." People come to me with their rabbit problems. You know I'm a meat rabbit guy, so my solution to a maloccluded rabbit is freezer camp, but this is different. It's a friend of my daughter; she's 10 years old. Her family has gone through a slew of losses this year including some pets, and a grandparent, but most of all a foster sister who has been with them for years and is now going home. For this little girl, the appearance of tusks from her bunny, a Cali given as a pet to replace a dutch that died suddenly, is the universe kind of piling on in 2017.

These people are farmers with livestock and they understand life and death, but this little girl could use some time to process things and move on a bit. The rabbit is able to eat, but obviously something needs to be done about those teeth. I will go over there Saturday afternoon to take a look. Please advise.

Yes, the teeth can be trimmed down. I personally have not had to do such a thing so I will have to research how to trim the teeth. Though someone else on here might have more experience than myself in doing so. I hope they chime in to help as well.
Edit: How are the teeth Maloccluded?

They can be clipped. With large toenail trimmers. If the clipping tool is not sharp, it may crack the tooth. I prefer using a dremel (just like a woodworking dremel) to file them down, theres less risk of a problem there. Or a combination of the two. Once you dremel them to the right length, try to get behind the teeth and make an angle, so that the tips of the teeth come to a point again.

Sagebrush":30oczujt said:
How are the teeth Maloccluded?

to_post.jpg

This is the photo her dad sent me. It's not the best, but gives some ideas. I think it's by injury because the litter this rabbit came from has no other malocclusion issues, so I'll be looking at the cage environment to see if there's some chewing that needs to be redirected to a safer item.

I have a pet buck that roams the yard. He has this problem too.
He lets me pick him up and put him on his side and I clip both top and bottom teeth with wire cutters every other week or so.

I use dog nail trimmers, the scissor kind rather than guillotine. They must be sharp so they cut rather than crush the teeth

The upper teeth will likely be overgrown as well and need trimming, they are also a bigger concern as they will cut into the flesh of the lower jaw and possibly the tongue

Back