But... That's Impossible!!??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Direct quote from the owner of the BUCK.... "But, that's impossible!!??"

I bred a Magpie Harlequin Doe to a Chinchilla Rex buck.
Both animals have pedigree that goes back far enough for me to say one is a Harlequin from Harlequin and one is a Chinchilla Rex from Chinchilla Rex....

So the litter is all Magpie Harlequin and whites...
I'm not terribly up on the letters in the genetics... but that was what I thought I would get, the other breeder said I should have got Chin, Self and whites (maybe some Harlequin marked chinchilla)

Can anyone explain this impossible litter??

Sounds like a pretty normal litter. They both carry white, the chin carries either harlequin or non extension (ermine)

Improbable but not impossible

Fluke litters happen, just like sometimes you get a litter of all boys ;)

Statistically you should have at least gotten some harequized chinchilla (kit on right is a harlequized chestnut) since the buck is full colour, but maybe next time ;)

And if the bucks owner is surprised about the magpie and that her buck must carry non-extension, just remind them that "recessives are forever" :mrgreen: and ask about any sable point or ermine or tort or red or tri or other non-extension colour in his family :hmm:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 853
I believe I had one Harlequinized Chinchilla ,.... but it was DOA ....

Thanks for the explanations!!
She purchased the buck to start a line of Chinchilla Rex (very rare in our area) and was not happy about this result in the litter!!
Needless to say, it does give her more information about his genetics.

Back