4 day old kits with diarrhea

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberRae

Reaction score
I have 4 day old kits that have yellow diarrhea. They are doing okay but I know if this diarrhea persist that they probably will not make it. It is a first time mom and she seems to be feeding them okay, not as much as I would like. I have been giving them a little nigerian goats milk to supplment them. Could this be causing the diarrhea? It is very hot were I am at and wonder if the heat could do it? I have moved them inside to the AC. I also have been nursing them on another mother to help with dehydration. Any advice would be very appreciated.

I have no experience of diarrhea in such young kits, but if it appeared after you gave the goat's milk then I'd hold off on it for a supplement. Hopefully with cooler indoor temperatures and a few feedings from the second doe, they will recover.

IIRC, that kind of diarrhea in very young kits can also indicate coccidiosis, but since I can't remember any details about what to do, I'm afraid I'm not much help to you.

Hope they recover quickly! :good-luck:

Thank you Maggie. I hope it isn't cocci. All of my other rabbits show no sign of it. This is definitely a first for me in such young kits also. I do have medicine on hand for cocci but hate to medicate such young kits. I will if it doesn't clear up by the morning.

I think you should research cocci in young rabbit kits and/or diarrhea in young rabbit kits before you give them anything.

The truth is I am a lousy resource for illnesses and injuries. I had very few ill rabbits over the years I raised them, and they were of the sudden death or sudden almost-dead variety. Nothing treatable.

Thank you, I am currently reading all the research I can find. There isn't much on kits this young, that is why I am so afraid to medicate. At the moment I am just going to keep them very hydrated. I have 5 does in milk and will just keep their bellies full. They are very eager to nurse so that is promising.

Back