• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rabbit Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

facebook is starting to delete all for animal for sale adds

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHaven

Reaction score
Since facebook is going to pretty much stop the sale adds for animals. I will be posting my rabbits for sale here. There are other avenues, but Rabbit talk may be getting much busier if it does allow animals sale , adds.
Maybe by state and or by breed, but its a shame facebook is doing this. I don't feel they have a clue how many people actualy raise and eat rabbits.

i think facebook is butting it's nose in where it doesn't belong. selling animals is as legitimate a business as any other one out there. So why target it?

ladysown":rpok1mds said:
i think facebook is butting it's nose in where it doesn't belong. selling animals is as legitimate a business as any other one out there. So why target it?
I would normally be hesitant to assume anything… but there has been a rather significant rise in veganism in the USA (I’ve heard the same about Europe, but can’t speak for the world-wide population, obviously). I have nothing against people who want to be vegan. Eat all the veggies you want, doesn't hurt me. Anyway, if said rise of veganism is in protest of animals’ living conditions (usually meaning big Agriculture, mass farming operations, etc.) then I can see how those same people would think that any type of farming has the same living conditions for their animals. My sister and one of my old friends happen to be vegan, and unfortunately it is incredibly difficult to change even their minds about small farms/urban homesteading projects/etc. I generally don’t even bother trying to discuss my opinions with them when it comes to food. At all. So not worth the headache to explain how I could kill and consume animals that I have cared for. Although both of them (independently of one another) kept parroting the same argument in the early days (when I was naïve and tried to reasonably discuss where food comes from)… “maybe it’ll be different for the animals YOU raise, but there are farms all over that keep their animals in AWFUL conditions with no regard for their health, and we don’t need more people to get into farming to keep that trend going”. :roll:

Don’t know about you guys, but to me it would seem a poor business model to have any number of sick animals if they are going to be sold on any kind of scale (not saying there aren’t some awful farms out there, but I’m sure not going to assume the worst of every single farmer in the USA, especially people just trying to raise enough for themselves).

So, back to the original point, I think Facebook is caving to the ever-loudening crowds of people that don’t want to see animals as anything other than cute, fluffy pets that are exploited by people trying to make a quick buck. And while puppy mills certainly should be shut down, I disagree with the mentality of shutting everyone down just to prevent the percentage that are abusing the system.

Ok, I’m done now. Thanks!

:soap:

I'm not sure it is just veganism ....

The majority of people are so far removed from the protein they eat, that the concept of an animal being killed to be eaten is horrifying to them!!
I just had a discussion with a lady at the office in the lunch room... I told her I also raise chickens for meat.... she was horrified... truly horrified and didn't want to hear any more... she had roast chicken for lunch!!!!
So the majority of the population doesn't understand or want to understand were their meat comes from.
Another part of the population is so horrified that animals must die to produce meat that they have fixated on all the negatives of the process (as Nymphadora mentioned)

I think more small farms should have open houses and meet and greets... the rules for selling off farm should be less structured... and the general population should be educated.

:insane: <br /><br /> __________ Wed May 10, 2017 3:35 pm __________ <br /><br />
ladysown":j2bowe45 said:

I agree
to many controls
Big brother is watching

SarniaTricia":l0vari75 said:
I'm not sure it is just veganism ....

The majority of people are so far removed from the protein they eat, that the concept of an animal being killed to be eaten is horrifying to them!!
Very well put. Yes, I agree that probably does play into it largely, as well. I was really lucky when we lived in South Carolina that a lot of our friends and neighbors out there were used to hunting or raising animals themselves, so I forgot how removed a lot of folks are. Especially since we grew up around farms in my family. I'm seeing that more and more back here in California again, though. :oops:

Gosh I'm so glad there's still sane people around, even if they're all on the internet! ;) :lol:

facebook deleted my account for mentioning animal sales. not even advertising, i just said i would have some available soon. remade the account with a new email and they deleted the new one within an hour. nothing was even on the page at that point.

it's very frustrating because i hate facebook and the only reason i made one in the first place is because people kept asking my mom if i would sell them rabbits, but they'd never call me when she gave my contact info. so i figured if calling was just too hard i could have a facebook because that's apparently the only way people will ever talk to me.... well now i guess they'll have to call me lol. mom offered to advertise occasionally when i got a new round of growouts that were ready, but i don't want her to get deleted too :/ i'm not interested in posting on craigslist/for the general public, since i don't have a high volume of rabbits and i'd rather start with word of mouth to family/friends for now, but i have no idea how else to let people know i have rabbits available outside of telling people to check my website every now and then.

Gosh that really blows Shazza! Though I'm glad you mentioned it here, I had a folder in my rabbitry FB about available bunnies (none were listed since the bottle babies went to their new homes) but I went ahead and removed that folder completely just in case. That's ridiculous. I did read online that you can post an external link to your website with sales on your website and that's allowed, just no mentioning the sales. Odd, but that's what I'm going to do in the future. "Check out my website! *insert link to available rabbits*" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Do whatcha gotta do I suppose.

Many of the ag groups I'm a member of on FB have uniquely resorted to selling "other" products in order to get their sales across...and so far it has been working out well, lol.

Attachments

• fb add.PNG
    fb add.PNG
    496.3 KB · Views: 3,304
i've seen screenshots of facebook not allowing people to post anything with 'for sale' in the post if the photo is from an animal? it gives an error like 'it looks like you're trying to sell something that isn't allowed' or something like that. that's hilarious though. i would try that if i could actually have an account. i might suggest that to my mom though if she wants to advertise for me sometimes :p

Hahaha, those are great! That reminds me of this advertisement I saw once :lol:
riding-mower-sheep-advert-craigslist-1.jpg

I suppose the way to sell rabbits in a similar fashion to the horse halter would be "Small bag of feed & small bag of hay for sale. Comes with rabbit. $40"

There is a FB group that has been discussing the effects of FB "policies". The consensus seems to be that FB is very capricious in how it enforces their so-called policies.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1875450006003554/

One poster has been going step by step into this topic. Perhaps You might find it interesting reading. So far there are 4 articles in this series

https://medium.com/@snagliphwritingserv ... 32379272a6

https://medium.com/@snagliphwritingserv ... 92e6921d44

https://medium.com/@snagliphwritingserv ... 3710fb63c9

https://medium.com/@snagliphwritingserv ... 3544b2ba6a

They are longish reading... but have a lot of information.

Yes. this policy is a royal pain. After having unfettered ability to post items and animals, to suddenly and often capriciously having posts removed is a jolt.

Latest posts

Back