Solid out of Brokens?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagebrush

Reaction score
Hello all. Like the title states, I have a solid black bun that has come out of mainly brokens in the pedigree. I purchased him while I was at the West Coast Classic over this last weekend. His genotype that I have from the pedigree is as fallows: aab?d?en? His Dam was a Tri (aaB-C-D-ej-W-Enen) and Sire was a Lilac (aabbC-ddE-enen). Anyone able to help me to figure this out?
Jay Z.jpg

Edited to add in genotypes from ped.

If his dam was a tri it means that he will carry either ej or e. So he could sire tri's if bred to a tri.
Sire being lilac means he carries both dilute and chocolate so he could sire dilute or chocolate colors or even lilacs or lynx depending on what his mate carries.

He can't carry broken even thought there are lots of broken on his pedigree. Broken doesn't not "hide" and even minimally marked animals will have some white (except perhaps extremely rare situations).

Thank you Alforddm. That would be great if I decide to go that route. But I was wondering how did a Self come out of a Tri and Lilac?

Alforddm hit some good points.
To maybe address the question in your post title, If you are wondering how brokens can produce solids: then there is a gene that controls brokens "En" (which I believe stands for English spotting). If you have no copies of this gene(en,en), your rabbit will be solid. If you have only one copy of the gene (En,en) you will have the broken pattern where the color and white have a fairly even distribution . If you have two copies (En,En) you end up with a "Charlie" where it is mostly white with a few color spots.

So a cross of "En,en" (the dam) and "en,en" (the sire) will end up with 50% solids and 50% brokens (on average). <br /><br /> __________ Mon May 08, 2017 9:26 pm __________ <br /><br /> Also the pedigrees might be off a bit. A tricolor should be "A_". Without the agouti gene you can't separate the various colors with the ej gene.

That does make more sense. I didn't see the parents at the show so I have no idea. I however did email the rabbitry owner to see if I possibly got the wrong pedigree. Thank you so much though , both of you, for taking the time to explain it better to me.

Tri is a bit complicated.

Tri's can be both A-, at- or aa and still be true tri's if they are also ejej. If they are eje they must be A- or they are considered "torted". This site has some really good information about the interactions of ej with self.
http://thetruthabouttris.weebly.com/the-basics.html

I made a the exact same breeding recently, a tri doe to a lilac buck. The litter was opal, black, broken blue, tri and blue tri (I forget the name for that color as it varies from breed to breed). In my case, the doe turned out to be doe is ej- Aa Dd bb Enen. The opal, tri and blue tri inherited agouti from their dam and self from their sire making them Aa. The broken blue and black got self from both the dam and the sire making them aa.

I hope that helped a bit.

That does help. The Dam does have the ej. I did contact the breeder and she said she will email me the correct pedigree. That we must have gotten them mixed when I picked him up. The Genotype on this pedigree would have him being a dark Seal. His undercoat, when you blow into it, is a medium grey. I will have to have DH's help in getting a pic of it tonight after work. <br /><br /> __________ Wed May 10, 2017 6:00 am __________ <br /><br /> Sorry it took so long but got home late and took the picture. Just was too tired to post. :oops:
Jay Z undercoat.jpgJay Z undercoat 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back