What is This Genotype?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Willow

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what this genotype is/ means?
At-Ar / Br-Br / Cd-Cr / Dd-Dr / Ed-Er
Er-Er / Dd-Dd / Vd-Vd / Wd-Wd / Sd-Sd

I recently joined a bunny nerd game ( :D ), Showrabbits.com, and was curious as to what earth the genotypes actually mean. This one was a Chocolate Otter, out of a Sable Marten and by a Broken Lilac.

?????
If you mean "what is a genotype?" It it is way to express the color genetics of a rabbit. The genotype is the complete set of information the rabbit obtained from its parents. A phenotype is the genetic information you can figure out just by looking at it. Typically there are the main five genes A-E. As well as a few extra such as brokens, Vienna, etc.

If you mean "what do those particular combinations mean?"

No clue. Do you use a different notation in New Zealand? A chocolate otter would have a genotype like "at_, bb, C_, D_, E_".

I signed up for the game for kicks just now...

and they seem to be using a non-standard code for the genetics. I think it correlates, so far, with actual genotype codes, but appears to be written differently.

As an example, Their A locus appears to be composed of three "genes" - Ad, At, and Ar. Where Ad stands for Agouti (A) in common US genetic notation, At is filling in for "at" and Ar seems to have taken the place of "a".
It seems to be that their C locus uses at least some familiar notations, a sable rabbit there is " Cchl Ch", but others are "Cr", etc.

You might be able to puzzle it out to a rough equivalent of real-world notation, maybe. Or I could be all wrong and the game designers did something different. You'd have to ask the people who programmed this game!

EDIT: I do have a completely wild guess as to their "system", but could easily be just as wrong as right. *shrugs*

I think the "r" in some of the nomenclature may stand for recessive. So Ar is the most recessive allele on the "A" locus. If I had to guess I would say they are probably supposed to be written with superscripts, A[sup]r[/sup] C[sup]r[/sup] and the bbcode for those doesn't appear to work :lol:

I don't like showrabbits.com. I've had some bad experiences with their owner and site in general. Leporidae.org has a better genetics system, and luckylapine.com is more polished than either, if you want a good rabbit game. Showrabbits.com is focused towards competitive meat breeding (meat pens - it was made by a livestock game company, where fairs and meat classes are more important than they are in rabbits), leporidae is focused towards show breeding and production meat breeding (made by a former rabbit breeder), and luckylapine is focused towards pet rabbits (you do agility and such, only way to get rid of rabbits is to put them down at the vet for a fee or give them to the shelter, the rabbits are docked points if bred before 6 years or so... really odd imo).

With their genetics code, the d means dominant, the r means recessive. Any other letter is actually what its supposed to be. But anyway
At-Ar / Br-Br / Cd-Cr / Dd-Dr / Ed-Er
Er-Er / Dd-Dd / Vd-Vd / Wd-Wd / Sd-Sd
= ata bb Cc Dd Ee enen DuDu VV WW SiSi

its a chocolate otter that carries self, rew, dilute and non extension (tort)

Back