Getting a doe to eat pellets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
So I have a doe that gave birth to nine kits on Tuesday. Very excited to have my first litter of French Angoras. But she is not eating her pellets well and has not for the last week. She will eat hay, greens, oats, and calf Manna. But only nibbles her pellets. She is drinking and pooing normally. I went out to check on her this morning and she was right at the door wanting food. But had a bowl full of pellets. I gave her hay and she hungrily started eating it. I am wondering if I need to buy a bag of the old feed I use to have since I switched feeds 6 weeks ago. Any advice I just want her to have the nutrition she needs to raise her litter.

that's pretty normal from my experience. i have does that will go off feed for the week before kindle every time. think about it - pellets are pretty "heavy" as far as feed goes, and there's not a lot of space in that body right now because she's full of kits! likely after she's given birth she'll start chowing down and then you won't be able to keep her feeder full if she's anything like my rabbits lol

Something you could try that I read on a different thread, that can't remember the name of :oops: , try a little molasses mixed into the pellets. Maybe she needs the added incentive. :shrug:

Sagebrush":2qav4ory said:
Something you could try that I read on a different thread, that can't remember the name of :oops: , try a little molasses mixed into the pellets. Maybe she needs the added incentive. :shrug:

Yes, blackstrap molasses can be a powerful attractant. It is also loaded with nutrients and since it is from the third boiling, it contains relatively little sugar compared to fancy or dessert molasses. But use only a tiny amount. I have dissolved a small spoonful in a couple of ounces of boiling water and drizzled it over a grain mix, but there is no reason it couldn't be used on pellets. Just make sure they don't get damp enough to go mouldy.

Hm, I came to trust my rabbits that they know what they need, at least with stuff they know. They don't really care much about what the web is telling me how much of what they should eat :?

When she's eating all that stuff in good amounts and pooping fine (nursing does are poop factories) I wouldn't worry about the pellets, wouldn't force or seduce her to it. Offer it, imho she'll eat it when she thinks she needs it.
I would offer hay in unlimited amounts, all day long. They -can- get enough nutrition out of it to raise litters, other stuff just improves the situation. Besides greens, oats etc. pellets are not exactly necessary.

I feed mostly green forage, I only add pellets to nursing does, along with oats, but not really much, but well, minimal growout time is not my goal.

Thanks everyone. I went and got a bag of different feed and she is eating it much better than the other feed. I am still giving her hay and a handful of greens a day. I am happy she is eating better because she was losing condition.

Back