Weird thing after kindling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey0246

Reaction score
I have never seen a rabbit give birth so I'm not sure if this is normal. She gave birth to eight kits and seems to be done. It's been about an hour and a half since then and there is this....sack? It looks like a bloody sack just a little smaller than a baseball. Help? Anyone?

probably the placenta. they usually will eat them as they come out but sometimes they'll forget the last couple few. it may also be a premature kit - sometimes it can happen. either way you can just remove it from the nest and toss it. it's best to remove bloody hay or any dead kits asap to keep the nest clean :)

So she ended up having a prolapse and needed to be euthanized. Luckily we had another doe to foster her kits, but I'm sad to have lost her.

So sorry you lost her, Joey. :cry: Poor bunny.

When I read your original post, I didn't realize that the "sack" was hanging out of the rabbit. I thought you meant it was something that she had passed. I think you did the right thing by euthanizing her.

yeah, it sounded to me like you found something she'd passed in the box - which is why i suggested probably a placenta or a doa kit. so sorry for your loss :(

Back