Are Mini Rexes Dwarves?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houston

Reaction score
Question as is the title-- I'm interested in breeding Minis in the future, and I'd rather stay away from the Dwarf gene. Does anyone raise them? Do you have any problems with peanuts popping up in your litters (and what percentage)? Thanks! :D

SableSteel":1bv1g8hs said:
25% peanuts.

If you are breeding two true dwarfs you will get 25% peanuts, 50% true dwarfs, and 25% false dwarfs.

If you breed a true dwarf with a false dwarf you will get 50% true dwarfs and 50% false dwarfs.

If you breed two false dwarfs you will get 100% false dwarfs.

That's what I figured, unfortunate. Are false dwarves DQ'd or faulted? Would I be able to have a nice show line with as little of the dwarf gene as possible? If it's a necessary evil, I can deal with it, but up to 1/4th of a litter being doomed from birth seems like it'd get real upsetting real quick.

It's not impossible

The dwarf gene is quite ostracized in Europe and they still have show quality rabbits that are dwarfs over here

But

Their SOP might be different from ARBA so being a dwarf is not as critical

houston":2aoazl53 said:
That's what I figured, unfortunate. Are false dwarves DQ'd or faulted? Would I be able to have a nice show line with as little of the dwarf gene as possible? If it's a necessary evil, I can deal with it, but up to 1/4th of a litter being doomed from birth seems like it'd get real upsetting real quick.
Dood":2aoazl53 said:
It's not impossible
I second that.
Being a false dwarf, in and of itself, is not a DQ. However, the physical characteristics of a false dwarf can result in DQ's or deviations from the standard of perfection. (I am unfamiliar with the SOP for mini rexes, but I believe many dwarf breeds have a weight limit that false dwarfs tend to exceed.) You could end up with a small but showable false dwarf or a large and non-showable true dwarf. But in all likelihood your falses won't be showable as seniors, but you might get a few shows in as a junior.

Now you can totally get showable rabbits by just breeding trues to falses. Statistically speaking, you would end up in average with the same number of true dwarfs; the ratio just seems off because instead of a peanut automatically dying you instead end up with another false dwarf to take care of.

Granted I know my book is out of date (for 2015) but the max weight limits on Senior Bucks: 4 lbs Does: 4.5 lbs, Junior Bucks and Does: 3.75 lbs. I am not sure if this has changed or not in the last few years.

KenoshaRabbits":35k1u726 said:
Now you can totally get showable rabbits by just breeding trues to falses. Statistically speaking, you would end up in average with the same number of true dwarfs; the ratio just seems off because instead of a peanut automatically dying you instead end up with another false dwarf to take care of.

Ooo, I hadn't thought of it like that. I'm sure it wouldn't affect growth too much, but even if some of the competition is gone within the first week, the rates for the remaining kits would be better.

On the other hand, they're a miniature breed anyway, so I don't have to worry about growing them quickly unlike my commercials haha.

Latest posts

Back