Decapitated weanling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelleVie

Reaction score
I have had a colony set-up for over a year now and have not lost a single rabbit to a predator until last night. I discovered one of my weanling grow-outs on top of a bin (that they use for shelter), decapitated. Her neck appeared to be chewed (I haven't had a chance to look for additional damage yet but will investigate the body more later). I was really shocked and sad, but grateful that the rest of the bunnies are all ok and accounted for. I suspect it was a short-tailed weasel (stoat), but have heard that they tend to cause total carnage rather than to kill one at a time? I plan to add some smaller gauge wire tonight to ensure that whatever it was can't come back for the rest of them -- I'm also setting some live traps to see if I can catch the murderer... :angry:

Has anyone else had this happen? Am I wrong to be thinking that it is a weasel/stoat?

raccoons are notorious for eating rabbits and chickens through the bars of the cage and only taking off heads and legs and leaving the rest. smaller wire and traps sounds like the best course of action to me.

I had predator problems, but they were dogs. I did catch a possum. I used dog food in a cage and caught it. I have heard certain worms are good for catching them.

Back