Cushioning for his paws?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olafthebunny

Reaction score
Hey RT!

My bunny Olaf's cage is an indoor cage. It's petshop cage that you usually see in pet stores or in front of them. People say cages like that are small but his is HUGE. I can FIT INSIDE IT! I got it off an online add for a very early Christmas present. The bedding I use for him is fleece/blankets. It works so well and he has a litter box. But now the bottoms of his back feet are starting to loose a bit of hair and are a teeny bit pink. LFB says that it isn't sore hocks fully yet but will get worse and possibly turn into sore hocks. Obviously I don't want this to happen....
So I don't know what to do to prevent sore hocks. His cage is a solid floor not a wire one. What do you think I should do? Should I cushion his paws with extra fleece or something? I know it's not a very big deal, LFB has told me that but I wanted to see what you would think.

I know carpets can cause sore hocks, but I haven't had the issue with clean indoor cages. As long as your rabbit isnt a long fur breed like lionhead you could try adding wood shavings in his cage for a while, see if it helps?

I would try newspaper or the such. Clean it out every day. Maybe get him a couple of rubber cage pads. Used for sore hocks. Help get him up off the floor of the cage.

Back