Register

Doe building a nest, but not pregnant...

Understand why your rabbits behave the way they do - and what you can do about it.
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 25.00

Doe building a nest, but not pregnant...

Post Number:#1  Unread postby DizzyBunnyFibers » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Hello all!
I have a question today, that I am hoping you all can shed some light on. I have a 3 yr old Satin Doe who today, has built a nest of fur and hay, who is not pregnant. She has no chance of breeding through her cage either. Why is she doing this? Is she just hormonal and wanting to be bred? I thought that was it when she started bundling hay last week, but now with the fur pulling I'm questioning. It was a lot of fiber and that is why I raise them, so I took her nest and she grunted at me. But now I am thinking that maybe I should put it back just in case, I would sure hate for her to kindle on the wire. But she can't be pregnant?! So confused, please help lol!!

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,896.00

Re: Doe building a nest, but not pregnant...

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Preitler » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Well, when the buck is right on the other side of the wire..., i've read stories that it could be possible.

Much more likely is a false pregnancy, a regular occurance with some does, and in spring hormones that can trigger that are more active. My does yearn to be bred this time of the year, and imho false pregnancies can be connected to that.
Anyway, it doesn't hurt to leave the nest in, better safe than sorry.
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness, then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious commodity is so much misery"

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 25.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby DizzyBunnyFibers » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:45 pm

Thank you for replying! There are no other bunnies right next to her so that isn't a possibility. I was thinking that false pregnancy can only happen when they have been mounted. I learned otherwise today. :D Thank you again!

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,146.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Easy Ears » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:32 pm

Nope, nest building/false pregnancies can happen anytime. :roll: My ND doe hasn't been bred in many months yet she pulled fur and built a nest just recently. I think it's the spring weather... :mrgreen:
At Easy Ears Rabbitry I raise pedigree Holland lops, Dutch and Netherland Dwarfs.
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/easyearsrabbitry/

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby macksmom98 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:06 pm

Yep-they dont have to be mounted to have a false pregnancy...