Poll: Age at Sale

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
I was at the Spring Swap Meet a few weekends ago and had the hardest time selling rabbits. Last year I sold out by the end of the weekend. It got me thinking. Is Easter making selling breeding stock for meat look evil? Or Was it something else? I took a little time and walked around the Meet and you know what I found? People selling 4-5wk old rabbits. :x :evil: I know my own rabbits are not fully weaned till 6-7wks old and have seen a dam still feeding the runt at 8wks.

So, I have come to yall:
What age do you start selling rabbits at?
What is the youngest you have ever sold a rabbit?
What is the oldest you have ever sold a rabbit?
What is your price range per age? (If you don’t mind sharing)

I have set this poll up in the breeding and Meat categories.

Yikes... 4-5 weeks? That's too young for me.

Meat mutts, I put them up for sale once they are old enough and if they don't sell by the time they reach 5lbs... they go off the market. :)

What age do you start selling rabbits at? 8 weeks
What is the youngest you have ever sold a rabbit? 8 weeks
What is the oldest you have ever sold a rabbit? ... do you mean like the oldest rabbit you've ever sold? I sold an older doe who was about 4 to a pet home once. Is that what you mean? The question sounds straight forward but it still seems a bit out of place.
What is your price range per age? I sell my mixed breed juniors for $20 flat, I've seen meat mutts listed as low as $10 here but they simply aren't as cute as mine :D I don't change the price because they don't get too terribly old, though I have sold a bred doe for $30 before. I can see increasing price when they don't sell because they are eating feed, but then of course you'd probably have even LESS interest because the price is going up.

I will sell around 6 to 7 weeks sometimes. I have does that will not feed their babies at all after 4 weeks old. Once the kits have been eating totally on their own and separated from their mom for a couple weeks I don't see anything wrong with letting them go to their new home. I will seperate the kit from the rest of the litter for a few days and make sure they don't seemed stressed before I let them go if the are under 10 weeks. I also have does that will nurse their kits until the kits no longer try. These kits usually stay until 10 or 12 weeks. Basically I let the mom and the kits dictate when they are ready. With that being said 4 weeks old is a bit scary to be weaned, separated from their siblings and in a new home all at once. I am sure some do fine but it's not worth the gamble.

if you live stateside... 8 weeks is the law in most states so be careful not to violate that eh?

In this day of animal rights activists, you DO NOT want to violate any laws lest you wind up charged as the rabbit breeder in San Francisco was charged for selling rabbits. he lots ALL his rabbits, gave fodder to the animal rights folks, and is in trouble with the law. DO YOU WANT THAT TO BE YOU?

So seriously.. think about what you plan to do and know your laws before you sell your rabbits.

I think each person needs to weigh out what they are comfortable with.

In my state I have never found a minimum age requirement, but as Ladysown mentioned most states say 8 weeks minimum age and a few at 6 weeks, and then the outliers like Colorado.. 4 weeks. So just to be safe, and because I feel the longer time with momma to be healthy I'm happily stuck with 8 weeks to cuddle these cuties. :love:

(DC is 16 weeks! :eek: )

Someone once told me that weaning enteritis is actually worse between 8-10 weeks, and that selling at those ages actually increases their chances of having issues and death. This is supposedly because they are that much older and more aware, and so stress affects them worse. I will sell mine at 6-7 weeks now, because this kind of made sense to me. So far everyone has been doing very well with that. I know its illegal in some states /towns, so I also agree that its important to abide by the laws. I DO think 4-5 weeks is pretty young. We are also doing a grow out experiment right now, to see what is best for gaining weight the quickest. So far our bunnies that are still with mom at 7 weeks have grown significantly more than the ones that have been removed from mom. So there are differences of opinion and factors here.......

My poor color, meat/pet or to small culls i sell at 4 pounds. So say ten weeks.
Kits that are that size at 8 weeks. Kits with good color are held over till 4 months to evaluate for show quality, they may still get culled but who knows. If they arn't selling we eat them.
I have sold older animals at whatever age I can get my husband to let go of them. (he has his faovrites that he won't eat, so they have to go as pets.
Culls I sell for 20 either meat or pet, unless they are older then they can go for say 30 no pedigree
Anything I deem breeding quality due to honest injury with ped is 40
Anything I deem a show prostpect (granted fur can go up or downhill) is going to be about 4 months old at least, so 40 or 50 with pedigree.
Anything I really don't want to sell, but I put a price of 75 to 100 on and they usually sell anyhow. ( If its a show home, I am less)
Anything with points on it that's breedable, I have never sold so far. I might sell an older herd doe for 150 not bred or 200 bred I suppose, but I would have to be hard pressed to do so. Only if I really needed money badly. Hasn't happened yet, and I doubt it will.

I am a show breeder with some slow to mature breeds. It been years since I sold a rabbit at 8 weeks which is my minimal age. Usually I don't sell till 12 weeks and that is only if I see something I really don't like. Most of the time it's 4-5 months old before I make a decisions on who to keep out of a litter and start selling the others. Price is really dependant on breed, quality, and sometimes variety. Anywhere between $50-$250 is my price range.

ladysown":1zamjsp0 said:
if you live stateside... 8 weeks is the law in most states so be careful not to violate that eh?

In this day of animal rights activists, you DO NOT want to violate any laws lest you wind up charged as the rabbit breeder in San Francisco was charged for selling rabbits. he lots ALL his rabbits, gave fodder to the animal rights folks, and is in trouble with the law. DO YOU WANT THAT TO BE YOU?

So seriously.. think about what you plan to do and know your laws before you sell your rabbits.

I think each person needs to weigh out what they are comfortable with.

I, personally, would not sell anything under 7-8 wks. Our local laws state nothing under 8wks can be sold in the pet market. It just shocked me that these people were selling them so young. Last year we had 5-6 breeders at the Meet. This year over 10. But I know the value of my stock and I put their well being over making a profit any day. I understand why I sold so few. 4-5wk old kits are just adorable, 8-12wk kits not as much. :lol: I did have a 4H judge come by and look at a junior doe I was selling. She asked for my business card. :p I decided to keep her for myself. :twisted:

Just wanted to hear yall's thoughts. I love having such a large, deserve group to talk with. Even though I rarely get this direction anymore. :cry: :lol: :lol:

No younger than 8 weeks because the WA state law says you can't sell any rabbits or poultry under 8 weeks of age unless you are selling more that 5 I believe...which I have so few kits at a time that I never really get over 5 at a time. Even if I did though, I don't think I would sell under 8 weeks just for the health of the kit.

I think it was a kit about 4 or 5 weeks old but it was to a very good friend and the kit was on formula because of complications with the doe, so since my friend wanted to raise the kit I agreed to just give it to her earlier so she could hand raise on formula. I've never made any other exceptions or sold a kit younger than 8 weeks besides that one.

Around 5-6 years old.

It can sometimes depend on the rabbit, but kits are $70 and adults $50-60 range....but if it is a breeder probably around $80....I haven't sold any breeders yet but once I do, that is where I'd start out. Mine are pet rabbits, not meat.

I sell at 8 weeks, and up to 5 months, what's left normally goes to freezer camp.

Sold one 2yo doe this year, need to reduce my stock.

I sell rabbits for 15-20€, it's not about the money, just enough to not end as dinner or snake food right away. There are always dozens of rabbits for free on our equivalent of craiglist.

I think it's a federal law across the United States for rabbits to be no less than 8 week old at the time of sale, but I've not looked it up lately so don't quote me on specifics.

In any case, ours are generally around ten to twelve weeks old when they start going to their new homes. They are at the OMG cute stage right about then. Usually young ones sell better than those that are four or five months old, for some reason folks want a 'baby' bunny so they can 'train' it. Not sure what that's all about. In any case, they're usually all sold within a week or two no matter their age anyway.

Sometimes when a buyer wants a pair, I'll sell an older (up to a couple of years old or older) bunny or pair, depending on what folks want. I think the oldest one was three and a half, but it was the only spare bunny of the opposite gender I had at the time.

These are English angoras and they start at $50 each and go up from there depending on the rabbit. Generally, I'll only sell them to folks interested in spinning their wool or harvesting the wool and selling it back to me.

In Minnesota there is no minimum age to sell kits (At least not that I can find -- if you find evidence of a minimum please let me know). For me, the age is determined by their size, overall health, and if they're thriving once being weaned.

What age do you start selling rabbits at? (6-9 weeks)
What is the youngest you have ever sold a rabbit? (6 weeks)
What is the oldest you have ever sold a rabbit? (5 months - but I'm just starting out)
What is your price range per age?

$30 Weanlings 6-9 weeks
$40 Juniors 10-12 weeks
$50 Juniors 13-23 weeks
$60 Seniors

My wean date depends on the individual rabbits. Since I have a colony, the kits stay with the mom until (a) a week after she kindles again -or- (b) at 8 weeks -- whatever comes first. If mama weans them at 4 weeks I'll separate at 5 weeks and sell at 6 weeks (if the kits are growing well on the feed and have emotionally stabilized from the separation). They go into a pen with other weanlings so they have company -- if they are smaller or if I know mama is still nursing them I'll leave them with her until she weans them herself up to 8 weeks.

*Note* my prices go up as time goes on because I cull my young rabbits for quality at the end of each of those time periods. The longer they are around and available for sale, the higher quality I consider them to be. I do have a guarantee (which is important when selling young, I think) - that they are free of genetic defects that would be disqualifications at a show or at registration -- and if one is discovered I will replace the rabbit at no charge.

I'm going to get hated for this...but here goes.

5 weeks old. Mine are weaned at 4 weeks and gone at 5 weeks, been doing this for 1 year now and no complaints ( I keep in touch with ALL my buyers!) and nothing bad has happened. Unlike most breeders, I offer a 3 month health guarantee against genetic defects. I am switching to 8 weeks now so please don't crap on me too much here. Okay? :oops: :lol:

2 weeks old and ONLY because he bought her mother too.

6 months maybe? It was a buck that I bought from someone else and I decided I did not want him.

Start up of $40 per mutt, start up of $65 for Mini Lops, start up for Silver Foxes $85, start up for show quality Silver Foxes $125. I do not increase price by age.

I wean my kits at 5 weeks and put them up for sale at 6 weeks.

The youngest I have sold a kit is 6 weeks.

The oldest rabbit I have sold was 8 weeks because it took a while before a buyer was found. I don't sell my adults.

My price range depends on breed. Here there are 2 breeds, the Dwarf and the Dwarf Angora. Dwarfs are R100, or $10. Dwarf cross Dwarf Angora is R120, or $12. Dwarf Angoras are R150, or $15. That's the highest price I could ask because the pet shop sells for R80, or $8.

Just a bit of input. I sell at 6 weeks because if I start selling at 8 weeks, sadly not a lot of people would be interested. The usual price for selling in my area is 4 weeks, and that is the age I have had to buy my stock. Thankfully I have never had issues with any of the 5 rabbits I purchased at 4 weeks or the 2 I bought at 6 weeks.

Eight weeks here. And when I get asked about selling earlier, I explain about the possible issues that can happen in the weaning period and that I prefer to sell kits that have gone through it and done well. It usually stops the early buyers.

I have sold some seven week old kits, but to a long time breeder who is aware of the issues.

Usually 10 - 12 weeks. I wean at 8 weeks and than give them a few extra weeks to adjust and to make sure there are no health problems.

I won't sell younger than 8 weeks. It's not technically a state law here, but I wouldn't feel comfortable selling kits younger than that.

4 years old, sold as a pet

I don't usually base my prices off of age. Usually it's based off of the show/breeding potential and the wool quality. Prices can range anywhere from $20 to $120.

After weaning, Usually 6 weeks.... but I seem to have issues with weaning enteritis at 10-12 weeks... so if they don't sell at 6-8 weeks old... they hang around till they are 12 weeks..... then they are kept as breeders or sent to freezer camp.

What is the youngest you have ever sold a rabbit? 4 weeks to a girl that insisted she knew how to take care of it and didn't want to buy from a pet store, because the rabbits from the pet store were crazy scared.... I have lost touch with her, but I assume the kit did well.

What is the oldest you have ever sold a rabbit? 3 year old breeding buck, he is now a fat, spoiled house bunny... I still get updates about him.

6-8 weeks $15 - after bloat age $20 - adults depends on the rabbit... retired breeders $30 - show quality Harlequin $40-$50

I do not sell rabbits any younger than 8 weeks. If I am not 100% confident that the rabbit is weaned, socialized, and ready to go, they stay.
Eight weeks.
5 year old Lionhead doe.
I sell juniors under 4 months for no more than $40. If they are pet quality, $20, breeding quality, $30, show quality, $40. Proven rabbits over 4 months usually start at $40 and go up to $50 if they have really great type. I have yet to breed something I think is worth more than that, since I've only been breeding for 2 years.

Back