Rabbit Safe Hutch Paint

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyAuntie

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm hoping to get a little help from some of the knowledgeable people on here. First a little background- I'm going to be 'taking in' my niece's rabbit soon. He was staying with the couple she roomed with while in school but now they've gotten a rabbit of their own and want to just let hers go in the woods. (nice,huh? :( )She does NOT want this but doesn't have a place to keep him where she is now. I've got the room and I love animals so I said sure. He'll be in an outdoor hutch as he's not too friendly (and I have indoor cats). The people who had him before kept him fed, watered and clean but paid him no attention.
So now my question, one of many, I'm sure! Is there any paint I can put on the hutch, where he may chew, that will be safe?I know the edges can be covered with wire but my building skills are limited :| I saw on this forum that some spray their cages with Rustoleum, would this work on wood? Any and all suggestion will be welcome!

You can but it won't last long under those toenails and teeth. Go to your local paint store and tell them you want "food grade" paint. It's pricey but is used in the food industry on machines all the time.

Welcome to R/T!!!
wavey.gif

Welcome!

All of my wooden cage frames are spray painted. They do dry inert, so they are safe. But as Homer stated, any parts the rabbits can come into contact with can be chewed. If you are lucky enough to have apple trees nearby, maybe give them a branch chunk to tempt them away from the pretty colors.

It's what is required for painting the machines that process our food from the fields. Once dried it's completely safe if ingested. Of course it's about $100 a gallon too. Sorry, but spray paint from Home Depot or Walmart is not food grade.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I talked to my niece (it's her rabbit) and she said she'd rather it be unpainted. Now she tells me :)

Latest posts

Back