Breeding Holland Lops

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clhc07

Reaction score
I know that Holland Lop Harlequins are not showable but I love the color anyway. I am wondering if there are any rules with breeding for this pattern/color. I have a Harlequin Buck and will be getting a Harlequin doe soon. Is there anything wrong with breeding the two together or is that a no no. I would like to have kits from these two but not if this is not allowed. I am trying to learn what I can about genetics. So please if anyone has any positive advice let me know. Thank you

Thank you for your response. I was not sure if I breed the two together if it would mess up the pattern or cause color to be smutty? They will be for pet only. Also do you know if you can breed magpie lionhead to harlequin lionhead? I love the colors too!

Breeding harlequin to harlequin is probably the best way to clean up the color. Then you can selectively breed for defined markings. Magpie lionhead to harlequin lionhead will probably get you mostly harlequin. Harlequin is dominant over magpie

SarniaTricia":e9n3tc2p said:
As long as you don't want to show the offspring.... go for it!

I breed Magpie Harlequin Rabbits and LOVE the pattern/colour.... so I don't see why you shouldn't do that with your Holland Lops. :D
I would love to produce magpie lionhead kits. I have a magpie doe and she is a great momma. I have bred her to my sable point buck and the kits turned out to be REW and Sable points. So, I bred her to my Blue point buck and got adorable vm kits but no magpies. Could you please tell me what buck would produce magpie offspring? I was thinking about getting a BEW buck. Do you think this will work?

what makes magpie color magpie. When I see it I think of frosty broken. What is the difference?

Kinipela":3iajq99e said:
what makes magpie color magpie. When I see it I think of frosty broken. What is the difference?

Broken frosty is frosty and white, with rounded edges to the markings. Magpie is frosty and black, with straight edges to the markings (and some brindling)

Back