weaning rabbits with Chaffhaye

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberRae

Reaction score
Does anyone feed thier rabbits Chaffhaye? I have it for my goats and give it to my rabbits as a treat sometimes. I had the idea to give it to my rabbits at weaning since it contains so much probiotics and from what I read it is the lack of probiotics that plays a big role in deaths during weaning. I have been very lucky and not lost a rabbit from this but thought I would still try the Chaffhaye. I offer it to them right about 10 days old when their eyes open. They love it! It seems so agreeable with them. They gain weight very fast on it and no diarrhea. I was wondering if anybody else uses it and what their experience was like? Also, it is no more expensive than pellets or the hay I buy so I am thinking about making the switch to only chaffhaye for grow outs.

I had to google it because although I have heard of Chaffhaye, I wasn't certain exactly what it is. It sounds as though it a somewhat processed (fermented) alfalfa product. Nutritionally it is likely okay as part of a rabbit diet, but not as their complete diet.

I fed my rabbits ordinary alfalfa hay with some grass content, but I also gave them small amounts of whole grain (usually wheat) plus forage. They also had a trace mineral salt block. They did fine on this, but their growth rate was a bit slower than on pellets. Dood seems to have worked past that point and if I still had rabbits (had to give them up because of mobility issues) I'd be looking to her feeding methods for improvement.

Back