Raccoons

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years back...DH had ducks. One year we had a plague of raccoons and they started killing his ducks. We had a live trap... baited it with Watermelon Rind smeared with Peanut Butter. They could not resist it ! Final score... Raccoons 2 ...DH 5 . End of that problem. Then a couple years later rabies came thru the area and pretty much wiped out the raccoon population. Sadly they Are recovering.

I do not know if tanning would destroy the BP eggs- unless,perhaps, you soaked the hides in the alum+salt mixture.(dessication) Normal composting temps do not destroy the eggs-- it has to be FIRE hot. Wear gloves while skinning. Perhaps, if scalding does not destroy the hide's integrity, that would destroy the eggs, as far as being viable. When I feel a bit better, I'll see if I can't find a way other than fire to deal with the BP reproductive cycle.

Since the market for furs just about died, very few people are trapping coons any more so the population is building up. Trappers used to keep the population down. Coons used to be the backbone of the trappers market in many parts of the country.

Hounds tree the coon so the human can have the "pleasure" of shooting it... BUT if you want to work a coon down in its burrow then you get a Jack Russell. I have seen them drag a 30 pound coon out and not give up. My own dog has done in several porcupines of that size just by shaking them. It was a mess btw. Back to coons they are mean but do run up a tree to avoid dogs first, so i don't think they would win in a prolonged fight. What you need to watch is if the dog encounters the coon in water, because they can drown the dog much like beavers do.Its all in the training and type of hunting being done.Coonhounds track and give voice so the hunter can come in after the dogs' hard work and get the glory... LOL :)

My neighbors chesapeake bay retrievers would kill coons regularly on their own.

akane":33uls7tq said:
My neighbors chesapeake bay retrievers would kill coons regularly on their own.
My Chessie has killed possum-poor thing was cold, got too close to him,, Connor broke his back- but for his safety, I draw the line at any animal that moves just as fast as he does and can get under him--
Chessies are not 'normal' dogs :D Like the Basenji, they are a breed above the common dog...

Would the parasites that the raccoons carry be spread around as the raccoon wanders around on it's nightly business? At this point, given the information so far, I'm inclined to just shoot them and bury them and not bother with the fur. It sure would be a shame to waste a good fur, though!

Be sure to check your local hunting regs....you could be in violation...here in Ohio you can't shoot a mouse without a license and the correct time of year... :evil:

Yep...racoons in a roasting pan...tatters...carrots...and a bunch of onions...terrific... :D

shooting a coon with a pellit gun will only make him a bit irratable. :p ..even a 22 caliber rifle is a stretch, but it will work

I have installed 2" x 4" fence hanging under my rabbit cages...whatever tries to get to them will have to have arms over 8" long...and the size of the fence allows any droppings to pass thru with no problem...hope it works..I live in the woods...actually...in a 37" travel trailer in a private campgrounds...in the woods.. :roll: .the wabbits are in a floorless tent out back in the trees...got all kinds of critters out here

You're right, Maggie, the fur wouldn't be prime now. I have until fall to get the rabbits out to the backyard. I"m actually just being a little paranoid about moving them from the snug safety of the garage out to the relative "wilds" of the backyard. My chicken coop is almost finished so I'll have chickens here long before the rabbits move.

GGRRRRR!!!! I have been waking up the last few morning to the cats food bowl empty, the container tipped over and the lid open! Plus, their water dish has a layer of cat food at the bottom that I am assuming is from them "washing" the cat food, because my cats don't put their food in the water dish......I guess I am gonna have to get a live trap because we never see them, they only come at night.

Problem is that our outside cats eat in the evening. I guess I could put the container in the garage, but then I would have to WALK WAY OVER THERE..... :)

Back