Need outside-the-box thinking... save $$ on cage door liners

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpmorgens

Reaction score
Hi, I am in the process of building all of our cages ... jumping into the world of breeding.

I am trying to think outside-the-box as much as possible to save money. Right now, I am trying to find door liners for cheap... Someone on another site recommended Galvanized Metal Corner Bead which is about $2 for 10 ft! Great price. I'm attaching the photo they added. I like it, but still want to see if I can find something else, a little smaller and easier to cut, in bulk, but not the price of retail for the plastic door liners... Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 8559d60d_68711_2011-02-25_100447.jpeg
    8559d60d_68711_2011-02-25_100447.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,088
I don't know WHAT exactly this stuff is, unfortunately, but maybe you or someone else does?
All I can remember is I bought it at a building supply store, and I think it was around the bathroom stuff. Some googling, and the closest I can get is it was in with the shower door seals? It came in something like 6' or 8' lengths; don't remember the price but I remember it was cheaper than ordering door liner. I haven't been able to find it since, but then again, I haven't really looked either. Or maybe they ordered cage door liners by mistake and it was a fluke opportunity... :shrug:

Attachments

• IMG_3130.jpg
    IMG_3130.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 2,081
I'd suggest simply going to Home Depot or Lowes and wandering around with about 30-45 minutes of spare time to chew on ideas. Go down every isle with your idea in mind and pick up things that might work. Especially the plumbing / shower area.

I don't use anything like that on my cages, but instead bend the wire back so there aren't any sharp edges.

Good luck!

-- Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:40 pm --

Having looked closer at that photograph Ipmorgans, that looks like metal flashing. Are you sure it's plastic? Continuing with that idea, metal flashing is decently cheap at your hardware store, probably in an L shape and you just clamp it down further around your edges to hold it in place. <br /><br /> -- Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:43 pm -- <br /><br /> Okay, so my phone screen cut off part of your text, you even say it's metal corner bead, lol. My bad!

We just bend the wires back on themselves so there's no ends sticking out. And to reinforce the door, we used to use old refrigerator racks we get from the dump, although not everyone has access to that sort of thing. Now our hutches have wood framed doors so no more wire edges, but it takes more work to make them. Harder to sterilize if that matters, as well.

Back