Started a garden for my bunnies - bug preventative?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I just started a small garden for our rabbits. I went out to see if any wild rabbits had gotten in it, they haven't but i seen a isopod eating one of the lettuces already! (I have chicken wire to protect the greens just ran out of day light so that will have to wait til tomorrow)

Anyway, what can i do to help keep bugs from attacking the bunny garden? Is there anything rabbit safe? I have f.g. DE but i really dont have any faith in it as a bug killer outside because once it gets wet, its loses its sharpness and the ability to slice the bugs up.

Any suggestions would be great

Heres my youtube video of our small bunny garden. It was a flower bed with decorative white stones but i dug up the flowers and added lots of bunny compost to it. Needless to say, it has GREAT drainage from the rocks lol
https://youtu.be/UJLRFZgfytE

When you say a "bunny garden" do you mean for them to "pick their own" and get exercise, or will you be doing the harvesting and taking the plants to the buns in their cages?

Marigolds are supposed to repel many insect pests but I'm not sure they are rabbit safe. Some herbs--many safe for rabbits--also help discourage insects.

Its for us to pick for them. We do give lots of out of cage time to play in the yard but this flower bed wouldnt work for them to play in. It's right near the deck and under the is storage (lawn mower, pool supplies etc)

I do know some marigolds are bunny safe because some of the hay ive bought had them in it, not sure which marigolds are safe, there are different kinds.

But i will consider planting some on the edges! I'll look into some herbs..

If i had the room to do a bunny garden for them to play and eat in, id do it in a second! But for now, i use 3 puppy pens attached together:) <br /><br /> __________ Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:32 pm __________ <br /><br /> Btw i did see a video in youtube showing how to deal with idopods (wood lice/rolly pollies)

Cut a potato in half, hallow some inside out and lay the potato flat side down. The pill bugs will go to it and in the morning you can collect them. I plan on throwing them in my compost pile which is wayyy away from my bunny garden :)

What pests are you seeing? We use various organic remedies in our veg garden depending on the problem. One thing we found helpful is having host plants for beneficial insects. We let dill self seed and then just pull it out (and feed it to the rabbits :) ) where it's a problem. Haven't had to pick off potato beetles for years. One year we saw that some insect had laid eggs in the potato beetle larvae and the population greatly diminished and now they're just not a problem. Still have to fight the flea beetles, asparagus beetles, squash bugs. And we hand pick Japanese beetles (and feed them to the chickens :D )
Good luck with your garden.

Latest posts

Back