How many bucks do you keep?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaytonHillRabbits

Reaction score
Hey all!

Just was thinking to myself.. because I've talked myself into buying another gorgeous rabbit.. issue is.. he's a gentleman and I have limited cage space.. right now I have 18 cages total (inside and out). I have 3 bucks (one is just a pet, the other 2 breeders) plus this new guy I've decided I'm getting. I have 10 active breeding does. Now.. my question is.. how many bucks is enough? How many is too many? LOL!

Tell me what you have and why!

:bunnyhop:

i have ...6 bucks. out of 14 total breeders. two mini lop bucks, one rex buck, and three meat bucks.

my older mini lop is getting, well, old, and he has some health issues (nothing genetic - he drowned last year and suffered some brain damage,) that prevent him from being a particularly capable brood sire. the second lop is his replacement and is only four months old.

i only have one rex buck to two does, though he may be replaced soon as his coat is the wrong texture.

as for the three meat bucks...my oldest has pretty severe cowhocks and while i don't care much for meat rabbits i produce to butcher, i've had interest from other people looking for breeders, so we decided to keep a son with good feet to produce good-footed rabbits to sell. the third is a rex/harlequin cross that i'm only keeping to work on a breeding project - his personality isn't the best but i need him to create a particular colour rex that i want :p

I've heard 1 buck per 4 does to be a standard that is out there (probably from one of those rabbit ebooks I downloaded off this website with my bunny-bucks) with 2 being the minimum due to the chance that one doesn't perform one day you have the backup buck.

But of course, this is for meat production and doesn't take into account coat color genetics, often people will have more bucks when they are breeding for certain colors.

I currently have 4 bucks and 26 does. I breed for show and the culls are used as meat.

Certain lines (and individuals within those lines) cross better than others, so I like to have several options to choose from when breeding.

11 holes , 4 does , 3 bucks .... my plan was only to keep two but my tri doe gave me one that was just too special to eat .... I might give him to someone as a pet after a couple breedings because he really doesn't fit my plans long term as far as color.

Currently only 17 rabbits, four of whom are bucks, although one of those bucks is at seven years old, too old to breed but he's still a good wooler. I'd like about two more bucks and about eight to ten more does, but we will see what shows up this year. These are all English angora so they're pretty small rabbits.

DaytonHillRabbits":neub17f7 said:
Now.. my question is.. how many bucks is enough? How many is too many? LOL!
Tell me what you have and why!
It all depends on you! What are you breeding for? As you've seen from the variety of other responses there's plenty of reasons to have extra bucks. Perhaps to have multiple breeds, or for certain color genetics, or for pet/companionship, or back up bucks for a meat operation, or for no good reason what-so-ever.

In the end, however many bucks "work for you" is "enough". So if you want another one get him!

my answer ... to many!!

I have two "Lines"
I have one buck for my meat "line"

But I am working to improve my Harlequins... the type on this breed of rabbit has been destroyed, because almost all the points at show is based on markings (10/100 for type).... I am currently crossing out my pedigree does to NZ mix and Rex to improve type.... the offspring of these pairings will be bred back to the pedigree Harlequin.... so....
1 pedigree Harlequin buck
2 show marked 1/2 pedigree bucks
2 non pedigree bucks... one is a Harlequin and I am trying to track down his pedigree... the other is from a non-Harlequin breeding and he is lovely, so I'm growing him out....

I would like to grow out 1or2 of a 1/2 pedigree litter that have great markings...

I will need to sell or cull a bunch of these guys....
The full pedigree buck will stay to breed back to my crosses...
The show marked 1/2 pedigree will stay to show & breed, then I plan on selling him to a 4H ....

so about 8 bucks.... 5 more than I really need .... but, right now I'm in a bit of flux to make improvements, so I'll suffer the extra mouths
12 does (4 meat ... 8 for my harlequin breeding program of the 8 only 4 are pedigree Harlequin, 1 -1/2pedigree, 1- no pedigree, 1 rex, 1 harlequin marked NZ mix)

I've got 2 bucks and 6 does... In my Hollands... And then I have an extra mini rex buck because he was pretty and ready the same day I was picking up a lop from the breeder... Whoops! He's a lilac/fawn harlequin with a mansion of a cage/run since he's essentially a pet.

Tis is all very good information. I was going to ask about buck to doe ratios.

Many large commercial breeders will keep one buck for 10 to 15 does. So, a buck can handle quite a few does.

I currently have 1 proven buck and 4 unproven for 13 does. I'll cull back further depending on how they produce (hopefully).

More than likely, 10 to 1 wouldn't work if you're breeding all of the 10 on one day. IMHO, you'd have a really exhausted buck before lunch, let alone by the end of the day. Around here, sometimes two does will be bred to one buck in the same day, but generally just one doe several times if he can manage it.

It also depends on what the bunnies are being bred for. If they're meat bunnies and you're not going to be keeping any of the offspring, then you don't need all that many bucks since the same buck can be bred to the same does and if the offspring is inbred, that wouldn't matter all that much.

If you're breeding to keep the offspring for further generations, then you'd probably want enough bucks to keep the genetic lines from becoming too inbred.

Well really, at this point, all but one of my rabbits are bucks.

IT depends. Because I show (yes, I'm still showing), bucks are more useful to me than does, because I don't have to worry about keeping them on the table past breeding age, or regrowing coats after kindling. With woolers, does in production means no fiber.

For practicality, I try to have one buck that can service several does for more than one variety. I seem to like colors that cannot cross, like Chin and Sable, so for every variety like that, a group of does need their own buck.

And honestly, I just like bucks better. They are nicer.

Back