Advice on how to mark/distinguish kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenoshaRabbits

Reaction score
Hello, I had a litter of Californians 2 weeks ago. I am hoping to hold a few back, particularly the huge ones!

I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to best mark or distinguish the kits over the next few months? Since they all look the same, I can't distinguish based on color. I don't have tattoo-ing equipment, and even then 2-weeks is probably too young to do that.

The solution doesn't have to be permanent (like a tattoo) but I would prefer something that didn't need to be done every other day.

Thanks for any advice!

I use a sharpie marker and make a small little dot in their ear. They come in a bunch of different colors. It last for a few weeks.

i just tattoo all of mine at around 7 or 8 weeks, when their ears are big enough to manipulate easily. i tried using a sharpie but half of them rubbed the mark out of their ears by the next day. it depends on your rabbits i guess. generally the big ones will stay big though, so you may not have as difficult of a time determining your keepers as you think ;P

You could probably prep with some alcohol to get some of the oils off, that would probably help the marker last longer. I have contemplated the surgical marker. I have had mixed results with sharpies. Some litters they last a LONG time, others, they are gone in days. I guess skin make up and grooming both probably play a role (like how some people have oilier skin/hair, or how one of my girls has nails that will hold polish while with the other it peels off within a couple of days).

Back