Register

Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 20,627.00

Re: Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Post Number:#1111  Unread postby Marinea » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:09 am

Welcome!
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 110.00

Post Number:#1112  Unread postby quietsnooze » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Thank you! Looking forward to more rabbit talk!

BunnyBucks: 65.00

Post Number:#1113  Unread postby JerseyWooly523 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:49 am

How do you put a new avatar on?

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 2,538.00

Post Number:#1114  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:39 am

JerseyWooly523 wrote:How do you put a new avatar on?

Click "User control panel" to the right hand side of the page.
Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 10.36.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 10.36.29 AM.png (35.16 KiB) Viewed 439 times

You'll show up in the "overview" page so navigate over to "Edit Avatar" button and you'll see this. Should be good to go from there. :)
Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 10.37.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 10.37.00 AM.png (151.62 KiB) Viewed 439 times

Welcome to the group!
Rabbitry ~ ImageImageImage ~ Recipes

BunnyBucks: 21.00

Post Number:#1115  Unread postby mark » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Hello everyone! I wanted to post an introduction, I hope this is the right spot.

My wife and I recently adopted a dwarf rabbit, named Kimchi. I will try to include a picture here. Oops, I will add photos when I get home and can edit size and resolution easier.

We've been reading about keeping rabbits as this is our first one. Well, my wife had rabbits as family pets when she was small but that was a while ago. I myself had hampsters when I was younger so I guess we aren't completely inexperienced.

We took her to the vet for her first checkup, but the vet said she was too young to verify the gender. We are calling Kimchi "she" and "her" until we verify otherwise, since our friend who gave her to us said she was a female.

We keep her inside, in a puppy run type of enclosure. We have a few things in there like a small bed we got at the pet store, and a shoebox I modified to let her have something to go into/under for a sense of security.

Anyway I am sure we will have many questions as we go along - for example we read that rabbits prefer to be kept in pairs at least but not alone ... is that true? Our little one has a great personality, is very friendly and likes to be petted, lets us pick her up, etc. I don't want to spoil all of that but of course we want her to be healthy and happy and not stressed, so we are open to finding her a companion. We are kind of waiting to confirm the gender, as I have read that it's good to keep male/female pairs (the male neutered at least, of course).

1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 865.00

Post Number:#1116  Unread postby KenoshaRabbits » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi Mark, welcome. Kimchi is a cool name!

mark wrote:We took her to the vet for her first checkup, but the vet said she was too young to verify the gender.

Not too young, your vet just doesn't know how. When you know what to look for you can tell at almost any age. Granted it is easier to determine the older/larger they are. If you got your rabbit from an actual breeder or someone who knows what they are talking about, then you can put a fair amount of trust in their sexing. Especially if you saw them check the vent area. (with the caveat that even the best of us aren't always 100%) But if you dealt with a pet shop, someone with a "whoops" litter, or a regular old volunteer at a shelter; then you might want to wait on that confirmation. A lot of people, probably your vet included, make their determination on whether they can find testicles or not. That is an excellent way to ensure a visit from "the sexy change fairy".

There are plenty of articles on here, online, and videos on youtube about how to sex your rabbit. You could probably consult them and find out for yourself. Or wait until Kimchi gets older and your vet feels comfortable making a call.

mark wrote:Anyway I am sure we will have many questions as we go along - for example we read that rabbits prefer to be kept in pairs at least but not alone ... is that true? Our little one has a great personality, is very friendly and likes to be petted, lets us pick her up, etc. I don't want to spoil all of that but of course we want her to be healthy and happy and not stressed, so we are open to finding her a companion. We are kind of waiting to confirm the gender, as I have read that it's good to keep male/female pairs (the male neutered at least, of course).

Depends on who you ask. The short answer is no. Your rabbit will live a good life even if it never sees another animal until its dying day. The whole "rabbits need company" is mostly an opinion of people looking for you to take a second rabbit off their hands. That being said if it makes you happy get another rabbit. Rabbit-tosis is quite contagious. For a lot of us the number of rabbits we have is only limited by the amount of cage space we have. Some people like the idea that their rabbits have company when the people are otherwise busy. Others just like having a second rabbit and seeing them interact. As long as you are treating your rabbit well it is good either way.

If you do get a second rabbit spay/neuter them all. Rabbits are territorial animals, a good way to reduce the chance of fighting is to remove the hormones that make them rabbits. Two mature unaltered males will fight (possibly to the death or castration). A male-female pair will reproduce. Two unaltered females could get along if they have been together since birth (sisters or mother/daughter; but this probably wouldn't be an option for you) but there would probably would be some fighting albeit not as violent. Although in the end it truly depends on your rabbits.

There is plenty of info on here so feel free to read as much as you can; there's tons to learn.
Best of luck!

Post Number:#1117  Unread postby mark » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, Kenosha.

I watched some YouTube videos and tried to examine Kimchi today. She freaks out a bit when I try to hold her and rotate her so she is on her back (so I can examine her). Since I can't get her to sit still long enough, I couldn't quite tell. I was able to see something, but I couldn't get a good enough look to tell which it was.

I heard (from the vet?) that if the rabbit twists around too quickly that they can injure themselves (spinal injuries), so I didn't force the issue. I tried a few times, allowing her to calm down in between, but it was not meant to be today.

Any tips on handling her in order to perform the exam would be appreciated! Is it possible she's too young and squirrely to be held like this?

Here's a picture ... having issues resizing, I may try hotlinking an image next time.

IMG_9222.JPG
IMG_9222.JPG (283.45 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 1,415.00

Post Number:#1118  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a new lionhead rabbit breeder. You can see my rabbits at my website http://kimitsukouseki.wixsite.com/bunbun-stories
Most my rabbits are rehomed from people who needed to let go of em. Since I'm new at breeding rabbits I've made mistakes and the like so I'm looking for any advice people would be kind enough to give me. I treat my bunnies as good as I can and even have some that are free roam in my room.

mark wrote:Any tips on handling her in order to perform the exam would be appreciated! Is it possible she's too young and squirrely to be held like this?

Hi mark, there's a couple tricks you could try. One is to hold the rabbit's head between your left arm and waist having the back of the rabbit rest on your forearm and grabbing the skin of it's bum with your left hand.
If you find that too difficult, you can grab a towel and sausage your rabbit in it tighly (not to the point where you choke it obviously). This will keep the rabbit still without risking it hurting itself. I find it to be more stressful on the rabbit so it's better to get it used to being picked up, but some times there's just no other way.
Also when pressing to identify the sex, do it very gently, I've seen experienced breeders wrongly sex a rabbit cause they press too hard. Cause if you press too hard the dot of a male will look like a slit of a female. Also just cause it "pops out" doesnt mean it's male, the vulva of a female will pop out if pressed hard enough. Again I've seen experienced breeders make that mistake -_-
If you're unsure, try and have someone take a picture of the area while you hold Kimchi and maybe we can help you identify it.

1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 865.00

Post Number:#1119  Unread postby KenoshaRabbits » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:55 pm

mark wrote:
Here's a picture ... having issues resizing, I may try hotlinking an image next time.

IMG_9222.JPG

Cute, she is tiny! How old is she?

Post Number:#1120  Unread postby mark » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks for the tips Kimitsu. Kenosha, she should be about 10 weeks. We were told she was 8 weeks when we got her two weeks ago.

Site Supporter
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,136.00

Post Number:#1121  Unread postby SixGun » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:59 pm

mark wrote:Thanks for the welcome and the advice, Kenosha.

I watched some YouTube videos and tried to examine Kimchi today. She freaks out a bit when I try to hold her and rotate her so she is on her back (so I can examine her). Since I can't get her to sit still long enough, I couldn't quite tell. I was able to see something, but I couldn't get a good enough look to tell which it was.

I heard (from the vet?) that if the rabbit twists around too quickly that they can injure themselves (spinal injuries), so I didn't force the issue. I tried a few times, allowing her to calm down in between, but it was not meant to be today.

Any tips on handling her in order to perform the exam would be appreciated! Is it possible she's too young and squirrely to be held like this?

IMG_9222.JPG

She/He is adorable.

Yes, rabbits can injure themselves. This means you will have to become more familiar with holding her securely. You are the boss, and she/he needs to learn to accept being turned over. Trimming nails is a must, and is done often, and is most safely done while lying on their back.

Rabbits are hardy little creatures. When you go to hold her, grasp her firmly. The sureness of your grip will tell her/him that you are to be trusted.

I set my buns on my lap, grasp around the front legs and roll them over onto their back, using tail and hind legs as the pivot. They stay in connection with my lap the whole time, and I can use the whole length of my arms as guides alongside their body as they move. If you have to use your forearms as a "squeeze shoot" so they stay still, do so. Once you have them on their back, just let them settle. If you want to add a bit more security, slightly part your legs so the bunny is between your legs, still on their back. Now you have your hands free, and they are nestled between your legs.

I have Angoras.... they need to be held more as a youngster than at any other age, so that they don't become rabid nightmare matted fluff buns as adults.

__________Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:59 am ___________

Did the breeder happen to say what "dwarf" breed? This bun looks quite young, which may have caused problems with your vet, who likely doesn't seem many rabbits.

Post Number:#1122  Unread postby mark » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:32 pm

No, we inherited her from a friend. She just said she was a dwarf bunny.

I will watch some videos on nail trimming. We know that we need to learn how to do it. I think I will have to do it when my wife is not home, because she thinks it hurts the rabbit to hold onto her securely. She wants to have the vet do it one more time ...

As I write this, in the afternoon at about 3:30 pm, she is sleeping and is in super cute mode. I'll try to get a picture. :bunnyhop:

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 816.00

Post Number:#1123  Unread postby AmberRae » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:06 pm

The more securely you hold, the more safe they feel. As long as I hold mine with a tight grip they lay comfortably. It takes some practice since you don't want to hurt them but you will get the hang of it. A first rabbit is very exciting and he/she is lucky it has such good parents.

BunnyBucks: 16.00

Post Number:#1124  Unread postby Bubba » Sun May 21, 2017 5:50 am

Bunnies 3. Charcoal..jpg
Bunnies 3. Charcoal..jpg (195.05 KiB) Viewed 144 times
Hi, We as a family have just recently been introduced to rabbit ownership. It started as a rescue of "Charcoal" as we have named him. He was set loose by his previous owner & basically left to fend for himself. Finally after trying to catch him for over 2 weeks our 12 yr old son caught him on a cold rainy evening. We fell in love in with Charcoal :D !!!
We now have 4 bunnies. which I will introduce later.
Here is Charcoal.

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 57,778.00

Post Number:#1125  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sun May 21, 2017 10:46 am

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Bubba, :welcome: and the Wonderful World of Wabbits. :lol:

Charcoal looks like a very nice bunny -- and isn't it nice that the whole family loves him. :lilbunny:

PreviousNext