satin angora?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After searching CL off and on for months with next to zero angora options anywhere close to locally, a couple popped up today! One of which is a satin angora buck... can someone tell me more about their day to day care? I know FA is one of the easier to tend to, and it sounds like they are similar to FA with a bit more sheen and finer hair. For wool (not show) purposes, could I breed SA and FA together? I remember reading something a while back about if you breed the wrong woolies together it can really mess up the wool harvesting process... at least, I think that's what I read :oops: :lol:

This guy:

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/grd/6056387378.html

And this gal:

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/6075067461.html

(checking on more specifics on the doe)

Satin produce less wool than French, but are otherwise quite similar. The sheen in the Satin is quite nice! You can breed them together, and to varying changes in wool quality, sheen , density, etc. All in all, fun stuff.

There is a satin angora and an angora group on facebook. I've been seeing lots of sales all over the country on those groups.

No FB for me, making it a touch more difficult sometimes :cool: The satin breeder emailed back and said she had some more available... oh so tempting! I was really hoping for the doe b/c for $20 you got her two story cage as well ;) . The ones she'll have available are black or chestnut...

Keep an eye on Hobbly in your area. I found a buck and a doe in two different places in just about two weeks time. Worked for me.

Good Satin lines are no more care than French, though they are a smaller rabbit so there is less fiber. If you breed a Satin to a French you'll loose the sheen in the first generation as its recessive, and it can be bred back into he lines by breeding back to a Satin, though the sheen may not be as strong as it would in a pure Satin. You may add size and coat production by doing his though.

Just make sure you market all offspring as mixes for honesty's sake, though I doubt you'd even think of doing otherwise. We currently have someone on the local CL selling short hair Satin and French Angora crosses and marketing them as Satin angoras when they have no sheen and half of them don't even have Angora coats. I'd love to give them a piece of my mind, but I doubt it would help the situation, they'd just ignore me and continue what they're doing.

Back