What will this color be?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudyM

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
[album]3686[/album]
The little dude in the middle is the one I'm wondering about. I posted a long explanation in the gallery so sorry if this is repetitious for some...I've never posted a pic before and I'm tech-challenged anyway!

The Mama bun is chinchilla colored and the Papa is Californian marked but not really black, more dark grey. They are all meat mutts. I find this silver-ish color very interesting. It looks like the ears and feet are darker colored too. Kinda reminds me of a Siamese cat.

I know absolutely nothing about color genetics. Maybe it will end up being chinchilla like Mom?

Could it have gotten chilled? Sometimes that can cause certain colored babies to have a grey coat early on... not sure if it's just REWs, or others as well (I have never had it happen, but have read about it on here).

It definitely happens when babies get chilled. My Cali doe had a litter on the wire in the winter. When we found them they were ice cold. We were able to warm them up in time but they all fluffed out with frosted tips. It was very cute but I know it is because they got cold. Her litters never had this coloring and is paired with the same buck every time. When I saw the pic of these kits my first thought was they looked like my litter that got chilled.

Chilled. Definitely could have happened. One day when I went out to check on them almost all of mamas fur was gone. It was hot during the day on that day so I wondered if she took it out because of that. Do they ever do something like that? Anyway, when I saw that, I added a lot more hay.
Darla has only had three litters for me and this is the first time she had any this color and she has two of six with this coloration. The other times she had 9 and then 12 all were either white, Californian, or spotted with black markings. I guess there's a name for that but I don't know what it is LOL. I plan on keeping this one. We'll see how he or she grows out!

In a blue pearl i wouldn't expect so much color in the wool. Pearls tend to be off white, not much more. To me it looks like a pointed white with some chilling, or what other breeds call Himi coloring. Thats why I am also curious about eye color.

there's a broken...what looks like chin in the litter, so I'd expect this is just a solid of the same colour. could merely be a lighter version as the one in the background looks like a darker version.

Back