Hotot breeding decisions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
Last month I got a pair of Blanc de Hotots and am getting ready to try breed the doe. Both are purebred out of French and German imports. I have a chance next week to possible breed the doe to another buck at a show. This buck has a partial pedigree with a mix rabbit in the third generation. But he may help with type and the weight issue my doe has since she is about a pound under minimum weight. But I don't like not having a full pedigree and not sure where I stand on crossbreeding Hotots. My current buck will probably make senior weight when 9 months old but I am not sure it will be enough to help counter the does weight issue. It would also be nice to have kits not related to my buck so I can breed them to him.

So I not sure what I want to do. I am new to this breed and don't want to mess up a very rare breed. Thoughts?

I would do it. Is the pedigree partial because of the mix, or in addition to it? The Hotot blood pool is pretty small here, and they breed to a different type standard in Europe, so it is hard to get ones with any resemblance of type if you use the imports and what people have here. However, the hotot coat is also very hard to breed back in once another breed has been introduced. If worst comes to worst, you still have your Hotot buck, and possible some younger, unrelated does

Back