Processing the ofal process - what do you do with the heads?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TornadoRed

Reaction score
Hi;

I am new to rabbitry, (but I've been contemplating it for a year now).

I was blessed this weekend with 2 - 3 cage hutches and 1 kindling hutch with 2 sections. And 9 rabbits. After an hour of google and inspection, I believe I have 2 males and 6 females. I have one unknown, but whatever it is, its DNA is banned from the gene pool.

0 - high-speed wobble in 1 weekend.

My question is what do you do with the heads after you process the rabbit?

Not that I am processing anytime soon (or breeding), but I like to know everything first.

i clean the skulls and sell them online as part of my taxidermy side business/hobby. you can also use them as dog chews, or simply toss them in your compost/in the woods for nature to enjoy.

What do you mean you have no dogs Chad? What about the ones you keep catching? ;)

Lol, in all seriousness do you have a neighbor you're friendly with that has (well contained) dogs? If I didn't have my own, and since I hate waste I'd personally ask around and see who wants some healthy scraps for their pups. Or even the free section of CL, post it the morning you're going to process and then have someone come by to pick up the remains at the designated time. All it takes is one person who raw feeds their dogs and then you have someone on call for the future.

2CrazyFools":13nwji4o said:
What do you mean you have no dogs Chad? What about the ones you keep catching? ;)

Lol, in all seriousness do you have a neighbor you're friendly with that has (well contained) dogs? If I didn't have my own, and since I hate waste I'd personally ask around and see who wants some healthy scraps for their pups. Or even the free section of CL, post it the morning you're going to process and then have someone come by to pick up the remains at the designated time. All it takes is one person who raw feeds their dogs and then you have someone on call for the future.

Wow that was a low blow :chair: . Funny, but a low blow. :respect:

None that I would give them too. I might check on CL next time. Worth a shot. Especially if I have a lot of them.

TheChad":1hzqkrpz said:
2CrazyFools":1hzqkrpz said:

Wow that was a low blow :chair: . Funny, but a low blow. :respect:

Awe I'm sorry Chad, that wasn't meant to be a low blow, just perhaps chuckle worthy considering the aggravating issue you had been facing here as of late. :)

grumpy":1hzqkrpz said:
Check your local area for any falconry clubs.
The heads are worth a buck a piece to them.
Grumpy.

That's a good idea... I'll have to keep that in mind next time I have a large processing day ahead of me!

Sounds pretty weird but I know I watched an episode of a travel show that highlighted rabbit head soup. I am thinking it was french but you may try a google search if your a pretty adventurous foodie.

Latest posts

Back