Grooming socialization

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
So I picked up a Lilac French Angora junior buck this weekend. He is only 13 weeks old and his coat is very cotton like. I decided to start grooming him twice a week because of his baby coat. My Senior doe only needs to be grooming once a week. Anyways I went to groom him and I really stressed him out. He had some mats underneath that I needed to get out and he got super stressed about it. I don't want him to be so stressed about grooming since its going to be done a lot in his life. I a bit taken back by his response to being groomed but I socialize by baby Belgians more than most breeders. Any tips on getting him use to grooming?

I always gently cut out the mats, and regularly brush those areas as the hair grows back in hopes they dont return. I believe if you continue to groom, and offer an occaional treat after, that he will learn to like it. Hes probably just scared since hes never done it before, but see what works and after a few weeks let us know!

I'm just very calm and patient with the newbies.

I had three of my little fuzz balls that are used to the slicker, but are just hitting their first molt and are scared to death by the undercoat rake since it pulls a bunnies than the slicker. I just take the extra time to be slow and gentle with them, and give breaks for love and pets. They get used to it after a few groomings, it just takes time and patience. One four month old doe I got had never been brushed and she tried to eat me when I groomed her, but after three months of being gentle she's fine with it now.

Time and patience, and when you feel that they are getting too stressed, I just let them sit on the table with treats for a little bit, and then try a little more. And I remind myself that it does not all have to be groomed right now, we can work a little more tomorrow and the next day too.

The bunnies around here are very susceptible to bribery, but make sure you're bribing them for the right things. Groom a little and if he's well behaved, give him a treat. Sometimes an ear rub will be as acceptable as a food treat. Depends on the bunny. If they grumble or misbehave while grooming, that's when I'll usually decide to trim a toenail or do something else that means they're upside down for a minute or two. Then put them back right side up, groom for a few seconds and then give them a treat. It disconnects the treat with the bad behavior.

There's also the 'I'm bigger than you and you're getting groomed' approach. Gentle but firm and determined. They'll usually reach a resignation stage of "okay, do what you want" pretty quickly. Again, it depends on the bunny. Some respond better to one approach than the other.

We also have the Queen Diva Bunny who is fine with being groomed as long as she can throw the comb on the floor first. She tosses it onto the floor and then everything else is totally okay. But until that comb has been tossed, she's gonna wiggle and squirm. Bunnies are weird sometimes.

Latest posts

Back