Spinning wheel...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look for videos/info about double drive band and tension. I am pretty sure from the original pic it looks to be a Saxony style double drive. You will need either two bands or one looong band that will have a spot that it X across itself. from what I understand historically it would be used with one big band and the crossover. the band goes around the wheel, around the bobbin whorl, around the wheel, around the flyer whorl.
I don't really have any experience with using them. the idea is that the whorl on the bobbin is smaller than the whorl on the flyer. Ergo, the bobbin should turn faster and that is what winds the yarn on the bobbin and makes the yarn pull in.

also, these wheels were made to spin fine. they choke up when you spin thick on them from what I understand. partly because you rely on the tension of the double drive alone and partly because the orifice and bobbin is so small. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:44 pm __________ <br /><br /> skip to 1:20 in the video for the up-close of the flyer and important bits. 2:20 she talks about the double drive. not thee best explanation but the basics.
(side note: the tension knob on her wheel, some wheels have a different way of tilting the mother-of-all to tension but I don't know anything about it other than that. be aware though that antique wheels may be missing or broken pieces especially the fiddly moving bits.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xDCTUblzVg

ohiogoatgirl":16j4kbcr said:
Look for videos/info about double drive band and tension. I am pretty sure from the original pic it looks to be a Saxony style double drive. You will need either two bands or one looong band that will have a spot that it X across itself. from what I understand historically it would be used with one big band and the crossover. the band goes around the wheel, around the bobbin whorl, around the wheel, around the flyer whorl.
I don't really have any experience with using them. the idea is that the whorl on the bobbin is smaller than the whorl on the flyer. Ergo, the bobbin should turn faster and that is what winds the yarn on the bobbin and makes the yarn pull in.

also, these wheels were made to spin fine. they choke up when you spin thick on them from what I understand. partly because you rely on the tension of the double drive alone and partly because the orifice and bobbin is so small.

__________ Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:44 pm __________

skip to 1:20 in the video for the up-close of the flyer and important bits. 2:20 she talks about the double drive. not thee best explanation but the basics.
(side note: the tension knob on her wheel, some wheels have a different way of tilting the mother-of-all to tension but I don't know anything about it other than that. be aware though that antique wheels may be missing or broken pieces especially the fiddly moving bits.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xDCTUblzVg

I tend ot lean toward finer spinning anyway, so that wasn't too much of a deterrent. This one actually has every single piece as far as I can tell (aside from the rod going from the treadle to the wheel, but the rope that came on it works OK enough to give it a try), even the leather pieces and all the hooks are there and in line! The bobbin is cracked, hopefully DH's cousin will make me a new one eventually. I think it's functional as is though! I haven't gotten any bands connecting it all together on yet... maybe tonight. The kids are WAY too fascinated with it. I am going to have to tuck it away downstairs because they can't seem to keep their hands off. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:43 pm __________ <br /><br /> We have a spinner! Whoo hoo! :cheer1:

Finally took the time tonight to get a drive band (I think that's the right term) on and set up - used cotton yarn like the one video mentioned. Lookin' good! Now to switch out the rop for the treadle (it's too stiff and thick of a knot so it's getting wrapped up vs. spinning freely) and I should be in business! The wool came in today but for some reason the mail person opted not to deliver it - not sure what the deal is . I had two pkgs come today and a note for pickup in the box. PO is 20 minutes away so by the time I drive there, stand in line (with 4 children, yippee), and drive back it will likely be at least an hour. I have a feeling it is b/c of our dogs, which is telling of that particular post person b/c no one else has ever had that big of an issue with them (we are a rural route so we rarely have a consistent mail carrier). The UPS guy has befreinded them, and a couple other mail carriers got pretty far with them with a couple treats here and there. They bark (heellloooo, that's why we have them!) but that's it.

Rant over.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to do more than spin air :roll:

when spinning on an older wheel, sometimes it won't spin in reverse to ply your yarn so if yours doesn't want to ply you can sometimes get the bobbin to go the other way by changing the drive band so the drive wheel still goes the same direction. You end up with a cross in the drive band, but that's usually no problem.

Back